Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever rehab a Disco I?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever rehab a Disco I?

Spotted one on my drive to work at a little bargain lot.

It was ROUGH. Paint awful, missing a headlight washer, had the rear step but it wouldn't return after you lowered it. The leather was cracked and faded, the headliner was falling apart and as I walked away I noticed the steering column covers were loose (ignition switch issues perhaps).

It happened to be unlocked. The build date was 02 of 1995 so I assume it would be a 1995 model? I should have checked mileage but didn't.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anyone ever rehab a Disco I?

Your lookin at a ton a money to get that thing back in shape.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

sounds like my 97 when I got it.

2 bumper caps gone, CEL on.....no gas cap, but the engine was carboned up and mis-firing, no headliner....not even the backer, the only clean spot on the truck was a footprint on the hood, drag link was bent and the sterring wheel was 90 degrees from straight, I have cloth, but it looked(and smelled) like kids had barfed on the back seat. I took all of the seats out of the truck and washed them. I want ahead and removed the carpet to clean after finding needles under the front seats.

What did they want for it?

Old 08-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Three Wheeling

What did they want for it?
No price on it. I tried to call but got a fax machine.

I wouldn't pay a dime over $1,200 for it. I was thinking of seeing if they'd even trade for the beater Galant. However, I'm about to sell the Cobra and the Galant will be my daily transportation. Not sure I'd want a beaten Discovery in that role.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:35 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a parts truck.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, unless the engine and drivetrain are solid, and you know they are solid, this is not a daily driver. I went through everything, fixed it, and got rid of my other cars. I only have to work on cosmetics and minor stuff now. (until something breaks) A backup is always good because parts are not readily available for these. Even the dealer has to order sometimes....

Old 08-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Three Wheeling

A backup is always good because parts are not readily available for these. Even the dealer has to order sometimes....
Yeah. My plan is to eventually wind up with at Disco II with the Alfa and Jeep refurbished into good backups.

Then we're going to get debt free except for the house. Then I can start a Porsche fund

Old 08-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Update. This beater I mentioned made Auto Trader. Can't believe they have the nerve to ask $2,950.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=228102647

Old 09-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Bumping this up to the top for comment. I'm a bit tempted to keep the beater Galant I'm driving and take this one on as a restoration project if I could get it for $1,000.

Is that a nutty idea?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Camel Trophy

Like I said, make sure the engine and tranny are sound. If either one is toast, you will put more in it than it is worth. I stopped bya dealer that has had a 96 on his lot for about 5 months now. I was told I had to go in and talk to some old guy for a price. I went and asked. He said $5K and I burst out laughing. When I realised he was serious, I laughed harder. He followed me out to the Caddy, but I couldn't respond from the laughter. I wouldn't have paid $1K for it.

Where are you located? Just from looking, I can see about $700 right off to be replaced, and I still can't find the tape for the shifter in a D1. Have to check the dealer, i guess...

Quick Reply: Anyone ever rehab a Disco I?