Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here have a hawkeye scanner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:16 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone here have a hawkeye scanner?

Just mulling over the possibility of purchasing the hawkeye ODBII scanner. I was going to get the ABS amigo but it just does one thing where the hawkeye seems to give you pretty much all the diagnostic tools available at a dealer. I see other high end scanners out there that will read and clear ABS and other special system codes and are completely unlocked for a little more money. That is the only downer with the hawkeye if I ever decide to also get a DI or RRC it is another $250 just to unlock that model.

I think jycsalas has a hawkeye and gave some initial impressions anyone else want to give their impressions (besides costing too much money)?

Old 08-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Jycsalas does

Old 08-31-2009, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Well..... It is not as powerful as the dealer's equipment but i don't know of anything just as good for a decent price. I have it unlocked for DII, DI, and RRS. Since I service Rovers down here we did a group buy. It is great for the DII since there are more ECU's than the DI. We don't have Rover dealers or anyone with an Autologic that I/we trust so this is the next best thing. I have the scangaugeII, ABS Amigo, and Hawkeye and thus far havent't needed anything more than that.

If $600 is a lot, try splitting it between a few Rover buddies like I did. heck even if you only get one other person, $300 for that device is sweet.

There are no instructions that come with it as far as how to use it with specific models. You will find it gives you lots of information and values for sensors that you have no idea they work or if they are within the correct range. There is a lot of guessing work. Maybe one day I will shoot video using it and show you all what it does for the DII...

Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 AM
TReK

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting the ABS amigo and a scangauge II but figured the hawkeye would be better as it offers more rover specific diagnostics. I will probably also get a scangauge just to mount full time in my truck.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

I highly recommend the scangaugeII because it is small and can easily mount for real time data reading.

You can change the color to a nice green that matches the rest of the lights inside.

Last edited by jycsalas; 08-31-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:03 AM
TReK
Wink

Originally Posted by jycsalas
You can change the color to a nice green that matches the rest of the lights inside.
Sold!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

see the new pic?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:16 AM
TReK

Yes it looks cool, I like the fact that it will do the mpg for you though it will probably just depress me.

So josh if it were just you and you were buying the hawkeye alone would you do it? Compared to say spending $200 on an ABS Amigo and another higher end scanner like the scangauge for $200. Do you think the Hawkeye is worth the extra $250?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Yes it looks cool, I like the fact that it will do the mpg for you though it will probably just depress me.

So josh if it were just you and you were buying the hawkeye alone would you do it? Compared to say spending $200 on an ABS Amigo and another higher end scanner like the scangauge for $200. Do you think the Hawkeye is worth the extra $250?

If I lived in the states with access to dealers and independent shops etc... i dont know. I would still do my own work. Down here I would buy it alone and unlock it for the DII, then later down the line if I got another Rover, I would unlock it for them at that point. If you have 6 issues to diagnose at the dealer for $100 each, you would have paid for the hawkeye. Time = Money, so consider your time to/at/from the shop and then once you get the fault repaired, you may have to go back to clear the light. $200 gone.

Get it.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:41 AM
TReK

That is what I'm thinking. I actually enjoy working on my truck and I have to get my 3 amigos cleared. I keep going back and forth between going to the dealer and an Amigo. I was going to just buy the Amigo but I also need a full featured scanner (my little basic scanner is great but I want live data too). Thanks for the info I'm going to get the Hawkeye. I will post my impressions here after I get it.

Quick Reply: Anyone here have a hawkeye scanner?