Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

??anyone removed cats from a '95 D1$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009 | 09:13 PM
Rock Crawling

no one thinks about the earth because one cargo ship leaving the port puts out pollution worth 100s of thousands of cars, one car with no cats doesn't add up to much.

The law on the other hand is something that needs to be followed

i'm currently running no cats or resonator, and will be replacing both sometime in april, as I cannot afford to do so right now. It's against the law, but at this point I'm not too concerned, as I plan to fix it ASAP

Old 02-18-2009 | 09:28 PM
Team Owner

I was thinking about his carbon footprint if he removed the cats.
Yes cargo ships produce TONS of CO2, so do over the road trucks, that is why we all need to buy locally and support retailers who use domestically made goods and not go to places like Wal-Mart with their big global impact and low wages for their employee's.
Plan your trips, drive the Civic and leave the Rover parked whenever you can.
One car may not produce much of a carbon foot print but all of the cars that are in your neighborhood do.
Just think of all the people who are driving with their check engine light on because their car needs a tune up, O2 sensors etc.
Look at the dash of the car next to you at a stop light, the amber CEL is easy to spot.
Tire PSI is another big one, the more PSI the better your MPG...to a point. 80 PSI will do you no good, but 40 will.
It all adds up, think of it this way, a dollar is a dollar, put them together and you have two dollars.
Your wife adds two more dollars, the your friend at work and his wife too. Before you know it you have a hell of alot of money pooled together and all you put in was 2 dollars.
It all adds up.
Do YOU want to be like Homer Simpson and be the one to put the dome over our heads?

Old 02-18-2009 | 09:46 PM
Winching

The dome wont be over our heads...

Or at least my head...
It will be a bunch of little domes over Gated Communities with gaurds aremed with automatic rifles...

The rest of us will just buy our air like we buy our gas....
$50 at a time...

Humor no need to educate me on the diffrence between global warming and air polution

Old 02-18-2009 | 09:57 PM
Mudding

Didn't want to get involved in a political discussion. I will just say that if you wanted to hug trees and save the planet better than most people, you would not drive a Land Rover. I'll leave it at that.

Old 02-19-2009 | 08:37 AM
|
8th Gear

My land rover w/no cats will put out less emission than most vehicles on the road in Ms. As far as global warming I think it is as big a crock of @#*t as Al Gore himself...God made the earth and there is nothing man can do to destroy it unless he allows it-in which there would be nothing we could do about it anyway.....Didn't want to go there but Im not the one that turned this question into a liberal agenda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2009 | 10:15 AM
Administrator

LR4U,
You don't know a thing about your truck and how it operates.
If you are talking about your 97,remove the cats on a OBD2 system and your computer will be stuck in open loop/cold start cycle causing you to run rich all day long wityh less power and worse mileage. If you are talking about your 95, it couldn't pass a full emission test if the cats are removed.

Old 02-19-2009 | 10:41 AM
Camel Trophy

Why is this discussion going on for so long? You can get Magnaflow high flow cats for $68 a piece. You get less restriction than OEM, but they still do their job. Not having them is illegal. Period. No matter what your thoughts on carbon footprints are. Get any newer than 95, and you will kill the motor.

Old 02-19-2009 | 11:12 AM
|
8th Gear

It is on the '95 and it is getting new cats put on as I type. I was just wandering what would happen, that was before I found cats less than $500. I love land rovers and I love fixing them-good thing. Disco Mike didn't mean to upset you, you have been very helpful on many many occasions for me. The '95 fixer up has turned out great since finding it in my buddys back yard where it had set for a year. Bad ground going to the fuel pump, 20 min fix. Hope to find it a good home soon, there will be another rover on the road and I will be off to the next one-keeping the xd of course.....

Old 02-19-2009 | 06:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by discodefender
Didn't want to get involved in a political discussion. I will just say that if you wanted to hug trees and save the planet better than most people, you would not drive a Land Rover. I'll leave it at that.
Yes you can be a tree hugging Liberal and still drive a Land Rover, I get 15 mpg as a daily driver and 20+ on trips.
The 28mpg city and 35+ highway Volvo station wagon is our #1 car and it seats 7.
We recycle everything that we can, turn off lights when not in use and dont waste water.
Land Rovers are not the problem, it is closed minded people with their heads up their @ss' thats the problem.
God gave us free will, he said what is right and wrong and then gave us the free will to do right or wrong, we can destroy this planet because he gave us the free will to do so.
And I will leave it at that.