Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run steel spares on their D1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone run steel spares on their D1?

Just curious if anyone has run the OE steel spares on all four corners of their D1?

Long story short, I've had a run of bad luck with buying Disco stuff this week. The first package I was expecting this week was damaged. Then I was due a shipment yesterday, but the trucking company never showed or even called. Waited around until 7:30 PM and missed most of an important after work meeting. They finally showed up today, but to top it off the steel wheels I'd ordered from a Land Rover salvage yard turned out to be OE steel spares.

I had asked the salvage yard sales person if the steel wheels were "Wolf wheels". They didn't know what those were, so I asked if they were black steel wheels. They'd said they were, but they didn't have any pictures on their website.

This is what I was expecting:

What I got:

I'll call the salvage yard tomorrow, but I'm not expecting much. Hopefully they'll offer some kind of olive branch, because I was really impressed by their initial service.

Bottom line: has anyone here run a full set of OE steel spares on their D1 long term? I've seen a few rare pics of UK D1s with painted steel wheels that look like these mounted, but wanted to confirm if they would work well (or how they might compare to Wolfs) from someone that's run them. In terms of balance, strength, etc. If they are workable, I guess I'll paint them black and eventually order some real Wolf/NATO wheels from roverparts or another reputable importer.

Thanks for the feedback. Kind of bummed at the moment after all of the hassles and surprises this week. As long as the Disco keeps running, I won't complain too much tho

Old 03-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Anyone run steel spares on their D1?

I wouldn't run the spare wheels as full time wheels.
You really wan't an 8" wide Wolfe or one of the regular wheels.
Mike

Old 03-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Drifting

Ouch... I was hoping to not see this response. Especially from Mike who knows his stuff!

What are the downsides of running the spare full time or maybe just off road? Is the offset bad for the hubs, hard to balance properly, etc? Details would be appreciated assuming I won't be able to return these... or the details might help my case if they should have known better than to sell me a set of temp use wheels that aren't intended for long term use.

I'm confused by the reference to 8" wide Wolfes. The link below declares that this 16x6.5 is the Wolfe wheel -- is there also a 16x8.0 version and if so who sells it?

"Known as the Wolfe Wheel overseas, this is a military-spec all-steel wheel that's built tough and actually turned out looking pretty cool, too. In black and silver and available only through Atlantic British."

LINK: Atlantic British steel wheel

Old 03-22-2007, 02:32 AM
Rock Crawling

ive got em on full time on one of the discos with 33s. its just like any other wheel around, just 50 lbs. theyve been on for about 3 years and i havent encountered any problems related to them. wolf wheels only come in a 6.5" width. the spares are just like the wolfs in comparison to weight and offset but are 0.5" wider.

Name:  DSC00598.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  89.7 KB

Old 03-22-2007, 02:48 AM
Drifting

Some good news and I like the way they look in black. Did you powder coat yours or spray em yourself? Any tips on a finish that lasts are appreciated.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:30 AM
Rock Crawling

i just used some black spray paint. its cheap and easy to touch up if it gets scratched.