Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB bumper Disco 2 (help for purchase)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ARB bumper Disco 2 (help for purchase)

Hi Guys,

This is a random question / request, but one of you may be able to help me out.

DO any of you live near, or go by any 4x4 shops / retailers on the "east coast area" that have ARB bumpers INSTOCK. I want an ARB 3432120

The reason being I want one for my D2, but they are not legal to sell over here now, but I can still buy and fit one from "elsewhere", now my company has currently got aircraft under maintenance in Timco - Greensbro, NC and one of them is coming back to the UK on the 29th of NOV and "if" I can get one to the airfiled intime, then on the plane it can go and I can collect it personally this end

But obviously this depends on getting one to the airfiled by the 27th at the latest.....

So any ideas welcome.....

Thanks

Nick
(UP)

Old 11-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am sure we can get something worked out.

Do you have a shipping address for the airfield?
Have you contacted ARB yet to see about buying one and having it sent to the airfield?
CamDisco is the only one I can think of who lives in South Carolina so I will get a hold of him and see what we can do.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why are they illegal in the uk?

Old 11-19-2009, 10:53 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead
why are they illegal in the uk?
yeah why are they illegal? cause too much damage when they hit another car? you going to be able to pass your MOT with an illegal bumper?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My Batphone rang and it was Spike on the other end.
I'm in High Point NC about 15 min from Greensboro.
I'm going to call around tomorrow and see what the shops here say. There arent many around here, but I do know of two ARB suppliers in the area.

Let's say I do find someone who has one or can get ahold of one... what do I need to do? How do you plan on paying? Can they ship it to the airfield or how does that work?
I am here until the 23rd, Im heading back to Asheville for Thanksgiving break. I'll try to do as much as I can up until then! My email is mcgrac09@highpoint.edu if you need to contact me.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far, if we can get this "mission" accomplished that would be a great inter atlantic D2 triumph!!

All I need is the address / website etc of any shop who has one INSTOCK (not order) and "if" they can get it shipped to Timco by the 27th address it needs to go to below.........

TIMCO Aviation Services, Inc.
MRO & Corporate Headquarters
FAA Repair Station TIPR833K
623 Radar Road
Greensboro, NC 27410

I have a guy from work (UK) at Timco that can deal with that side of things, I will pay for it via credit card over the web "if" who ever has one has a website facility to do so.

I have sent numerous e-mails to websites / shops "over there" hoping someone can oblige, had only 1 reply so far that says out of stock till Dec 10th. Well, in the worst case scenario I will get the same oppurtunities later on through till March, how ever they will be flying back straight into service instead, where as the one on the 29th is coming direct back to where I work for an Engine change, so I can just "pop" out and pick it up myself.

Cam if you manage to find one, thats great!! let me know asap please......

Spike, thanks for ringing the "batphone"

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 11-20-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
yeah why are they illegal? cause too much damage when they hit another car? you going to be able to pass your MOT with an illegal bumper?
Its one of those daft rules, I'll try and explain.

From some point in 2003-4, it was made illegall for manufacturers "genuine" and accessory and vehcile to produce "bull bars" of metal type construction because of the potential damage to pedestrians in a collision.

Anyone who had one is not required to remove it, any companies who made or sold them could still sell their old / current stock, but once it was gone that was it.

Its not illegall for me for example to import one, or to buy one on ebay for example and fit that, but it would be illegal for say the UK ARB importer to sell me a bull bar type. hence the D2 saharah bar is available to me, but without the chrome tube section ( ARB make this specifically for the UK).

The "nice" bull bar types are not available to me at all, but I can still buy one from overseas and fit it. it will not fail the MOT as its not a requirement to remove them, even the Stainless A bar on my D2 now is no longer to be able to be purchased.

So hope that explains it, the whle rule is daft, get hit by a 4x4 and its goona hurt bull bar or not, and the real stupid part is anyone can still sell / make winch bumpers (without bars) and stick a 40 KG winch in it, but that's ok coz it dont hurt as much......go figure!!...

anyway, thats the rough tale.

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 11-20-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UP, I am going to be ordering the same bumper from Rusty's offroad tomorrow. I'm not sure if they are in stock or not, but I'll let you know what I find out. If they are in stock, they are located in northeast Alabama, and should be able to truck freight it to NC by the 29th no prob, IF of course they do have them in stock. I'll post up more later this morning once I've talked to somebody. BTW, anybody else looking for this in the states, Rusty's has them on sale right now for $900 plus shipping, which would be about $150.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Oh yeah $900, thats a dam good price, just looked at their website........ lets hope they have them on the shelf!!

Old 11-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well UP, bad news. They do not have them in stock, and the $900 price would go up $300 in the end because they add truck freight shipping from their distributor and going out to you. If you placed the order today, it wouldn't be to them until early December. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Quick Reply: ARB bumper Disco 2 (help for purchase)