Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ashtray's official selfhelp/progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Ashtray's official selfhelp/progress thread

UPDATED post #60

Hello, Community.

Gonna make it short and sweet for everyone so as not to bore you. This is going to be my only thread. I will ask every question I have here if I cannot find it, or if I need personal help on a particular detail. I am doing this so as to document my progress with the car in just one thread, so there is no need to search, but rather just come here. Following are simply aesthetic questions concerning the car, and I would appreciate any and all help that is thrown my way. I've already read tons on this forum about engine maintenance and drive train maintenance. Once it comes down to it though, I'll probably ask questions here Just got this beautiful Discovery II 2001 SE from my dad since he upgraded to an LR4. It has been in the family since her first lease was up in 2001 at 7k. Details will come with time as well as questions. If you all have any questions at all please feel free to ask me : ) I have a little intro thread in the introduction section, dont wanna retype anything here. All I can say is thank you already for all the info in this place!

Here she is
Name:  IMG_0275.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  128.9 KB

Wondering if the following things can be fixed by me personally and if you all have any recommendations feel free to share!
Also, I am very experienced with my hands and can fix many things just so you all arent imagining some novice kid with a rover. I've done much work on my previous car to much fulfillment : )
passenger door window trim
center dash crack plastic part
driver side passenger black trim piece is loose(rattles when driving)
speedo consol is completely loose
burnt clock
worn leather around 4x4 shifter and ebrake boot
A-pillar on passenger side
and before I do the headliner mod, notice this sag(is it fiberglass or the foam)??

Thank you all!

Best,
Ashtray

edit: One quick fact about the car that has me somewhat scared, is that for a few oil changes, my dad was very very late on them. I'm wondering if I would have already noticed any damage? If so where should I look in the engine bay. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by ashtray; 10-08-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Edit: one quick....
Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Mudding

Also, should this concern me?
Name:  IMG_0296.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  55.9 KB

Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
Also, should this concern me?
Yes. Go to the closest BMW dealer and get a replacement.

Or you can get it here:

Land Range Rover Discovery Upper Radiator Hose Bleed Screw

If a new screw doesn't fix it, you'll need a hose.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

D Pillar

Land Rover Discovery Genuine OEM Factory A Pillar Trim

I think Will Tillery had new sets of parking brake and transfer case shifter boots.

Lots of people probably have a used clock for you.

Use longer screws and washers for the gauge cluster, where the two screws in the front pulled through.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

The piece of trim that rattles when you drive...
I had a similar issue and I used a peice of heavy duty two sided tape after cleaning the surfaces and it has held for a couple years now.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jafir
Yes. Go to the closest BMW dealer and get a replacement.

Or you can get it here:

Land Range Rover Discovery Upper Radiator Hose Bleed Screw

If a new screw doesn't fix it, you'll need a hose.
Okay thank you very much. Will update when it is done.
Originally Posted by jafir
D Pillar

Land Rover Discovery Genuine OEM Factory A Pillar Trim

I think Will Tillery had new sets of parking brake and transfer case shifter boots.

Lots of people probably have a used clock for you.

Use longer screws and washers for the gauge cluster, where the two screws in the front pulled through.
I'll look into used clocks, and as for the screws and washers, I will look into it with more detail to see exactly where it is broken, perhaps I'll take a video to give greater detail. I'll search Will Tillery

Originally Posted by CANAMDiscovery
The piece of trim that rattles when you drive...
I had a similar issue and I used a peice of heavy duty two sided tape after cleaning the surfaces and it has held for a couple years now.
Perfect, double sided tape was the first thing on my mind. I'll look into a heavy duty one as I pressure wash my cars.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Winching

All the answers have been said:
Note download the Rave manual.
The headliner is fiberglass but it is really weak and thin. BE CAREFUL when you drop it to replace the liner.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used superglue to fix the rear window plastic trim. Just pried it a bit to apply the glue to where the fastener had cracked off (still stuck to body) and it held tight to cure with blue painter's tape. Couldn't have been easier.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
All the answers have been said:
Note download the Rave manual.
The headliner is fiberglass but it is really weak and thin. BE CAREFUL when you drop it to replace the liner.
Will download that asap later tonight. Taking the miss' out. So far though, thank you all for the extremely prompt info and so far very good : )

Old 08-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Mudding
Exclamation

@jafir, that radiator bleed screw website is just a picture and description, there is no buy button and the nearest BMW dealer is about 160 miles away. What do I do?

edit: There is a Mercedes Dealership in the town I'm in right now. Currently I'm not in San Antonio that is my problem.

Last edited by ashtray; 08-17-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Ashtray's official selfhelp/progress thread