Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempted SVS Repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Attempted SVS Repair

I attempted the SVS repair, option B, but quickly realized the only way to properly remove the switch cover plate is to disconnect the brake lines and completely remove the ABS unit.

Following the ABS Modulator Fix write-up: I tried to remove the SVS cover plate located underneath the modulator with the brake lines still attached as to avoid having to bleed the system. It was a biotch!.

I had maybe three to four inches of clearance underneath the ABS unit to try to get at the three 4mm hex key screws. The first screw I attempted to remove was in the easiest place to work, the screw located towards the front of the unit. This is where I stopped the project, decided to put things back together and said F-it.

The 4mm hex screw fought me the entire way, it didn't seem right. So, I stopped. I could not even get the screw all the way out.

Has anyone else who've completed the repair encounter this? Were the hex screws a pain to remove from the bottom the ABS unit??

Old 11-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the fix and those screws were such a pain that it was def. a time saver to just remove the whole unit, spray some penetrating fluid on the screws and after a good 10 minutes you should be able to get them out safely.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by lostl13
I did the fix and those screws were such a pain that it was def. a time saver to just remove the whole unit, spray some penetrating fluid on the screws and after a good 10 minutes you should be able to get them out safely.
You just made my night, thanks! I was thinking that the screws were frozen or worse stripped. Well, next weekend looks like I'm bleeding brakes...again.

I just did new pads, rotors, and brake flush. I probably, should have waited to for the flush till after the ABS fix. But, who knew the screws would be a pain to remove.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Actually, I did it on two trucks in about four hours without disconnecting the brake lines. There are three blots that hold the unit to the chassis. Unbolt those, and have a helper hold it the unit up while you unbolt the cover plate. Then, its a cake walk. If you have rear ac, there is a hard line that makes it much harder (hence the first three hours) but if you dont, then its much easier.!(the final hour)

Old 11-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Mudding

Also remove the brake line retaining clips on the firewall. This will allow for the ABS unit to move upward enough to reach the three retaining bolts on the SVS. See the Land Rover tech. bulletin.

2003 Discovery with the high miles service complete.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by borchera
Also remove the brake line retaining clips on the firewall. This will allow for the ABS unit to move upward enough to reach the three retaining bolts on the SVS. See the Land Rover tech. bulletin.

2003 Discovery with the high miles service complete.

x2.
Also remove the clips on the lines running down to the caliper. Free's up another half inch or so.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by dgi 07
x2.
Also remove the clips on the lines running down to the caliper. Free's up another half inch or so.
Thanks for the tips, but I think you guys are missing my main point.

The three 4mm hex screws holding the SVS cover plate on were a bitch to unscrew. That's why I threw in the towel. If they unscrewed without being held on by the force of God, yes, the repair would have been cake walk.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by coors
Thanks for the tips, but I think you guys are missing my main point.

The three 4mm hex screws holding the SVS cover plate on were a bitch to unscrew. That's why I threw in the towel. If they unscrewed without being held on by the force of God, yes, the repair would have been cake walk.

The hex screws have loctite on them (can not remember if red or blue). The screws come out hard all the way. A small flat mechanics/ cosmetic mirror under the ABS pump will get help you lined up the Allen wrench. Others use a 1/4 drive with a 4 mm Allen socket.

The uncliping of the brake lines will allow you to raise the entire ABS pump assembly a good amount to put a 2x4 under the ABS pump. This is high enough to allow your hands underneath.

Your replacement SVS will have new screws with loctite.

Just wait until you have to put those new screws in without cross threading.

2003 Discovery 123K with high miles service complete.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:36 AM
Pro Wrench

Ahhhh.......misunderstood what u were talking about. Napa has a hex set with a longer handle. Thas what I used. But you should be able to get it off without remind the modulator itself.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by borchera
The hex screws have loctite on them (can not remember if red or blue). The screws come out hard all the way. A small flat mechanics/ cosmetic mirror under the ABS pump will get help you lined up the Allen wrench. Others use a 1/4 drive with a 4 mm Allen socket.

The uncliping of the brake lines will allow you to raise the entire ABS pump assembly a good amount to put a 2x4 under the ABS pump. This is high enough to allow your hands underneath.

Your replacement SVS will have new screws with loctite.

Just wait until you have to put those new screws in without cross threading.

2003 Discovery 123K with high miles service complete.
...I knew they had loctite on them! ****! They were impossible to remove. Maybe, I'll give it another go w/ the ABS in place. I really do not want to disconnect the brake lines. Thanks, for the info guys.

Quick Reply: Attempted SVS Repair