Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto auction

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Auto auction

I know some of you guys are used dealers and what not, realistically how much of a savings versus buying from a dealer can I expect?
I am talking about a mini van not a Rover, specifically a Kia Sedona or a Hyundai Entoruge.
Our third choice is a Nissan Quest.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Seems like it would be worth your while. I have an 06 Sedona since new, 217K, 90 miles a day commute, 23 mpg, be sure the cartridge oil filter has both o-rings when changing.... tranny filter change requires drop tranny, tranny drain is like a quart, I extended the cooler lines under battery and pumped out - added back in until all same red color again. I think the only thing I've had to change on the engine was an idler pulley (twice). Eats head light bulbs, runs 14.4 volts, a long life bulb is available, just haven't run it down.

Owned a Quest also, put close to 200K on it, other than delivery new by dealer with no transmission fluid (tranny quit 1 mile from dealer), no major issues. Have also had Dodge Caravan, Ford Windstar, and the Kia has been the best of the bunch.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-23-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i'm assuming your talking about a used car auction and not one of the factory auctions to clear out stock.
For what your looking at probably in the area of 30% below retail. Bare in mind there is no recourse for something bought at auction in most states, unless it is a title or lein issue.
Auction are funny all you need is two dicks that think the have a customer waiting and stuff can go for close the retail, other days it like there giving stuff away.
But most stuff goes to an auction for a reason, mainly because the seller never wants to see it again.
they like to tell you stories like I own a caddy dealer and took this honda in on trade and no one come to a cadddy dealer for a honda which is why i brought it here. In actuallity ever dealer has a list of wholsesalers for that reason, so why did they not wholesale it?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also depends on if its a dealer only auction or public..Dealer only auction has more rules on disclosure of things like miles,accidents and so on...I was a dealer and use to go to Manheim Auto Auction. But even then there is a chance of getting a cream puff......May look good but deep down look out..Its a gamble though you have to know prices and limits...and what to look for of course.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Baja

all the rules change from state to state, Ma title and odometer statement is all that is needed, NH & RI title only. You should probobly see what the rules are in MI.
I know we used to run everything threw RI before sending it thru auction in Ma. Because RI was did not require an odometer statement, and somehow on that 20 mile trip the cars would loose 20-30k miles. they would return to Ma. with a new "better milage" RI title.
Not all dealer are scum, just 99%

Old 05-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Mudding

I'll remember never to go to auction up there....

Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The auction near me will hold sellers to "un reported" problems, like tranny bad, etc., and they have an elevated ramp for under side inspection before leaving the lot. Some autions let you crank cars, look at them before they run threough the lane, some big ones will let you drive them on their lot.

BTW - the Kia uses a Mitsubishi tranny, which as you know is a good supplier.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Baja

im assuming that is a public auction and not a dealer auction? at a dealers auction you ussually get what you buy, as is as seen

Old 05-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Mudding

Not at our dealer auction Manheim (dealer only) you can inspect,under, over, in ,open hood pull the stick,start it.I bought a BMW conv 2yrs old...(inspected best I could in lot)came thru,dealer on the block next to auctioneer(normal)never stated any problems...I bought it got it back to our shop put it up on the lift.....inner wheels rear cracked..Humm...started lookin in the trunk.. started pulling carpet back..things weren't lookin right...called the auction,they said bring it back to arbitration....3 days later got a ck back..

Hey ck it out for the heck of it....... http://www.manheim.com/locations/MAA/events

Last edited by creepin; 05-24-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manheim auction would be the one to go to, dealers usually charge 200-300 dollers to take you there, don't touch dealer's car, there is always a reason why they sell them at auction. Low mileage rental cars are the best value, their maintenance is usually done properly and I don't think that any body renting a minivan will abuse it, and you can get good deals on them. Bank and Insurance cars could also be good, if low mileage and newer year. I bought an 05 4Runner from Insurance auction in 2005, a 2008 Nissan Armada in 2008, which was also a rental car and a 2008 altima also rental car in 2008, I got all of those car for way lower than a dealer would have sold them. The altima had a poorly repaired fender bender, which I saw after I bought it but other wise no problems.
Now for dealers cars, I once bought a 1987 BMW 735i, which I turned back to auction without even making it home and I also bought another older model 735, which did make it home but was full of problems.
Dealers usually have access to manheim online auction site and also to another site called OVE.COM, which also sells manheim cars and you can get a good deal with less auction fees and without going to actual auction. they have a very nice condition reports, which are done by professionals and list every thing. The key is to find a good dealer that will help you.

Quick Reply: Auto auction