Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Insurance comparison

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Auto Insurance comparison

I am about to re-new my auto policy with USAA and I was curious what other Rover drivers are paying. I have a 2001 Disco II, I'm 39 years old with no accidents or tickets what so ever. I have full coverage with the following features and pay $565 for a six-month premium ($1,130 per year).

Bodily Injury Liability
If you hurt someone in an auto accident, we'll help pay up to 25,000/50,000 per person/per accident

Property Damage Liability
If you damage someone else's property in an auto accident, we'll help pay up to 25,000 per accident

Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury
If an uninsured or underinsured driver injures you or your passengers, we'll help pay up to 25,000/50,000 per person/per accident

Personal Injury Protection
If you or your passengers are injured in an auto accident, we'll help pay up to the amounts shown below:

Medical Expenses
we'll help pay up to 10,000 per person

Funeral Expenses
If you or your passengers die as the result of an auto accident and need assistance for funeral expenses, we'll help pay up to 2,000 per person

Income Continuation Benefits
If you or your passengers lose income as the result of an auto accident, we'll help pay up to 200/10,000 per week/maximum

Loss of Services Benefits
If you or your passengers are injured in an auto accident, we'll help pay up to 200/5,000 per week/maximum

Comprehensive
Covers damage caused by something other than another vehicle such as hail, theft, or collision with an animal.

2001 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SERIES II SE
We pay the repair cost and you pay 500 per occurrence

Comprehensive Loan Coverage

Coverage Selected

Collision
Covers damage to your vehicle caused by impact with an object other than an animal.

We pay the repair cost and you pay 500 per occurrence

Collision Loan Coverage

Coverage Selected

Underinsured Motorists Property Damage
If an uninsured or underinsured driver damages your vehicle,

we'll help pay up to 10,000 per accident
you pay 300/100 hit and run per accident/all other losses per accident

Rental Reimbursement
Pays for a rental vehicle while yours is being repaired,

we'll help pay up to 30/900 per day/maximum

Towing & Labor
Provides emergency roadside assistance (such as towing, flat tire changing and delivery of gas).

Coverage Selected

Old 05-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Pretty similiar to my coverage and rates.
As my agent told me, my rates are up there, not because of my record but because of the damage our Disco's can cause when they hit another vehicle.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well it all depends on what state you live in, for my '97 with full coverage, glass coverage and towing I pay $436 every 6 months.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
Well it all depends on what state you live in, for my '97 with full coverage, glass coverage and towing I pay $436 every 6 months.
Spike...I live in Washington State and I forgot to add that I am a male (I'm not sure if that makes a difference at my age)...if you don't mind me asking...what insurance company do you use?

I can save about 22% if I had your rate...over $200 per year!

Thanks for participating in my Rover insurance poll...

Old 05-09-2009, 06:49 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You're going to find it very difficult to beat USAA'a rates. I use USAA also and no one else comes close to what I'm paying. I'm paying $295 for 6 months of full coverage as my second vehicle.

I'm sure Michigan rates are a lot lower than Washington. Shop around and see what you find.

Last edited by AK Rover; 05-09-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Liability rates are based on the State and County you live in. There are some exceptions, but for the most part your liability rate would be the same no matter what you drive because it is based on your age, where you live and your driving record. The comprehensive and the collision is based on the vehicle you drive. In my opinion your liability limits are too low. If you cause an accident and your insurance has to pay the other party you could be left out of pocket for the difference. What if you hit and total a vehicle that cost more than $25,000 or you injure someone in an accident and their medical bills are more than $25,000? You should get rates for raising your liability limits to $100,000/$300,000/$100,000. I personally have a $1,000,000 umbrella over my auto and home for about $16 per month.

Last edited by grussell; 05-09-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When comparing rates, it's a good idea to check for what the combined rates are if you carry all you insurance with the same company. I've insurance in Washington state for my US based policies with State Farm, and I received enough of a discount from combined policies to make my overall insurance costs the lowest. Also, if you carry a liability Umbrella policy, you can carry lower underlying liability on your Auto portion, another area of savings that nets ya far greater liability coverage overall.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had usaa on my mustang and disco recently switched to my wife's policy at allstate getting wayyyyyy better deal. usaa is very helpful for military members. i recently got a qoute for all 3 of my vehicals through aaa and its the best ive found and they arereal upfront about everything. so ill be changing over sometime soon

Old 05-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by grussell
In my opinion your liability limits are too low. If you cause an accident and your insurance has to pay the other party you could be left out of pocket for the difference. What if you hit and total a vehicle that cost more than $25,000 or you injure someone in an accident and their medical bills are more than $25,000? You should get rates for raising your liability limits to $100,000/$300,000/$100,000. I personally have a $1,000,000 umbrella over my auto and home for about $16 per month.
Hey Grussell...I spoke with USAA and I raised my liability to $100,000 and it was only an extra 5 bucks a month! 4 times the coverage for only $5 seems like a steal to me...thanks for the advise.

Now I pray I don't ever have to use it!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth
Spike...I live in Washington State and I forgot to add that I am a male (I'm not sure if that makes a difference at my age)...if you don't mind me asking...what insurance company do you use?

I can save about 22% if I had your rate...over $200 per year!

Thanks for participating in my Rover insurance poll...
Here in MI we are a no fault state, which means that no matter what my insurance pays for my damage and yours pays for yours.
I have a $500 deductible which I only have to pay if I am at fault, $0 deductible on glass and they cover towing and lockout upto $75, I have to pay anything over that.
I am with Allied Insurance and have been with them for going on 10 years, that is the key.
Read the fine print of your policy, the longer you are with a company the lower your rate AND the longer you have a car insured with them the cheaper the insurance on that car.
So I bougt the Rover 2 years ago, I paid premo rates for it, 1st year and the rate dropped, 2nd year same thing, this will keep going until I have had the truck insured with them for 5 years then the rate on the truck will bottom out and that will be the rate that I pay for as long as I own the truck and have it insured with them.
I get a discount for being a loyal customer, non smoker, clean driving record, mutli car discount etc.
I have called Gieco, Progressive and nobody can touch my rate for the coverage that I have.
For 3 cars, 2 with full coverage and one with PLPD I pay $227 per month.

Quick Reply: Auto Insurance comparison