Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto start

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:17 PM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts
Default auto start

well im almost done buying my first rover 04 disc se7, full warranty from easy total care, ive been serching around the site, and i havent read anything about the landies havin remoteg auto start for winter, along with a front bumper guard and autostart is on my list of mods, is this a bad idea to install or is it comon, ive heard the autostart causes some electrical issues in some cars.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you will need it. The heated seats in these things kick total a$$. If you asked all of us, that's prob the one thing we can all 100% depend on in this trucks....

Old 05-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

redwhitekat,

For some reason (unknown to me) 99.9 percent of this site is against remote starters.

I don't know if the fear is that the truck is going to overheat and meltdown while warning up or what? Most remote starters are equipt with oil cut, and rpm and water temp safetys switches these days so I dont really see that as the problem.

But if you live in subzero or near zero weather a seat warmer does not do much for you while your driving down the road trying to get heat and you have a wind chill below or near 0. Your *** bakes while the rest of you is chivering is all.

I put one in my 2000 simply because I did'nt want to pay LR rediculous price for replacement key fobs. I paid something like $50 for the starter, LR get like $150 for a replacement key fob and programing is extra.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't speak for anyone else, but the electrical and alarm systems on these trucks are complex and intertwined to the point that I wouldn't suggest fooling around by introducing something like a remote start that.

They generally end up at least getting wired into the ignition and power locks. Both systems that could easily turn your D2 into a big paper weight.

Believe me, these engines heat up fast enough. I'm sure it can be done, but adding more electrickery (as my Series truck owning friends call it ) just isn't advisable.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had a remote start since I bought my truck over 5 years ago.
For the same reason, I didn't want to spend the money to replace failure prone fobs.
Don't use the remote start feature much.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The arguments agains installing a remote start are the same ones you'll find on BMW forums for 7 series cars as well as any number of other forums.

People do it properly and they work. Others don't, or have some HS drop out at the stereo place down the road install it for them and end up with a 2 ton paperweight.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont have one because I am not so lazy I cant walk out to my truck to start it and then walk back inside while it warms up for 10-20 min.
I am NOT saying that you are lazy, just that some people are and thats why they install them.
If I lived in a apartment and did not trust my neighbors well enough to leave my unlocked truck running in the parking lot then I would have one.
I open my garage, run out in my PJ's, start the engine and go back inside and get ready for work.
Come back out and my windows are clear.
And the comment about the butt burners it totally true, your butt will be on fire but the windows will be fogged and you wont beable to see but your butt will be warm.
I never use my butt warmer.
If you get one have a pro install it, remote starter that is.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:10 PM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

thanks for the advise i kinda figured adding more stuff to the electrical wiring on these machines are not easy, but it is nice if your out for dinner or something and push a botton 5 min before you go out. oh well

Old 11-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Overlanding

I have a 2003 disco and have just installed the starter myself. I look around to find a suitable place to have the starter Installed but got the same response everywhere I went. No way, too difficult.
I took it upon myself to learn about the starter and the disco electrical system. I spent 5 hours over the weekend tracing the wires, careful cutting, soldering and sealing.
Once finished, there is a fully functioning remote starter. Not difficult just time consuming. I can see no reason why anyone with a reasonable grasp of auto electronics cannot install one of these themselves.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:59 AM
Mudding

Do you need an extra key fob to mount in the dash with the starter? Some systems use that to get around the fob needing to be near the ignition?

Quick Reply: auto start