Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Transmission Filter Kit - Autozone $14.99?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:15 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission Filter Kit - Autozone $14.99?

With the great info here and on the Rave CD (which I would not know about if not from here) I am going to change my Transmission Fluid and filter.

I have a question on the filter - It seams that there is a big difference on the price. Autozone has a filter kit (with only one o-ring) for 14.99, While British Pacific has a kit for $50 and then the dealer is about 120.

I would normally go for the middle of the road price wise or if it was performance go all out.

Should I go for the 14.99 Autozone?

JC in AZ

2001 Discovery II with 109,000 miles. Not sure when the fluid was last changed owned for less than a year.
I recently changed spark plugs and wires. Magnacore 8mm that I overpaid for since I didnt search the threads for the cheapest place and Platinum +4 plugs.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Does the one from AutoZone come with a new gasket too?
If it does I see no reason why not.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:02 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sure looks like it does include the gasket. I was looking at this yesterday myself, wondering, "what's the catch?" Either way, I'm stopping by and ordering one today.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a good deal, one of those no brainer things.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
It sure looks like it does include the gasket. I was looking at this yesterday myself, wondering, "what's the catch?" Either way, I'm stopping by and ordering one today.

Did you find it on their website? I could not find it.

Jeff

Old 02-25-2010, 10:23 PM
4th Gear
Default Part Number T726

The Part Number is T726, if you search for the part number on their site you will find it. The picture shows the gasket and also one o-ring. Thanks for the feedback. I have not changed a transmission filter before so I do not know what it is made of, so I wanted to get some feedback from here, espcecially since so many aftermarket ones are 50 from online to BAP.

Thanks again. JC in AZ

Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Since D2's don't get changed as often, I would suggest you stay away from the cheap sets and buy yours from Atlantic British.
What ATF will you be using, this is even more important? How burned/brown is your current fluid?

Old 02-26-2010, 11:10 AM
4th Gear
Default have not looked at fluid yet

DiscoMike,
I have not looked at the fluid yet. I plan for this to be a Sat morning complete job, so I have not drained it.

The main reason I asked is I didnt know if this filter is just metal type or what. I spend the extra for oil filters but didnt know if it would make a differenct here. At the price may just change it every time change the fluid. I just dont want leaks or problems of course.

I am searching the forums for the best ATF to use I looked at what you mentioned in your 60K service thread. I am also looking for what Spike555 uses. I know all the good names just havent picked one yet. I think once I pick a brand I will go with it for all fluids. I am reluctant to switch to Royal Purple because I have motor oil leaks that need addressed (for sure valve covers and maybe heads) and assume they will be worse with it? May go with all Valvoline Synth. Red Line is carried at Checker/Orielly but not all fluids in stock.

Thanks again,
JC in AZ

Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Valvoline Maxlife is a good inexpensive full synthetic ATF.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by JC in AZ
DiscoMike,
I have not looked at the fluid yet. I plan for this to be a Sat morning complete job, so I have not drained it.

The main reason I asked is I didnt know if this filter is just metal type or what. I spend the extra for oil filters but didnt know if it would make a differenct here. At the price may just change it every time change the fluid. I just dont want leaks or problems of course.

I am searching the forums for the best ATF to use I looked at what you mentioned in your 60K service thread. I am also looking for what Spike555 uses. I know all the good names just havent picked one yet. I think once I pick a brand I will go with it for all fluids. I am reluctant to switch to Royal Purple because I have motor oil leaks that need addressed (for sure valve covers and maybe heads) and assume they will be worse with it? May go with all Valvoline Synth. Red Line is carried at Checker/Orielly but not all fluids in stock.

Thanks again,
JC in AZ
Like many European manufacturers they use a metal screen type filter. Really no benefit to changing it (the filter) frequently. Like you said, you would probably just open yourself up to creating a leak removing the pan frequently. My guess is you would be fine with the Autozone kit.

I flushed out my old fluid and use Red Line D4 ATF. I also use their gear oil and motor oil (good for flat tappet engines). 2004 Disco.

Last edited by Wolkesan; 02-26-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Filter Kit - Autozone $14.99?