Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autozone brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autozone brake pads

I've read here that some people like the ceramic lifetime warranty pads from Autozone. So I went to my local Autozone today and asked about their ceramic brake pads with the lifetime warranty for my Disco. They told me that they don't carry them and they cannot order them. I called another store out of town and same story (??). They carry the semi metallic pads. Whats the difference in the two types? and will the semi metallic work just as well?
Thanks

Old 02-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Autozone brake pads

ORIGINAL: nynole

I've read here that some people like the ceramic lifetime warranty pads from Autozone. So I went to my local Autozone today and asked about their ceramic brake pads with the lifetime warranty for my Disco. They told me that they don't carry them and they cannot order them. I called another store out of town and same story (??). They carry the semi metallic pads. Whats the difference in the two types? and will the semi metallic work just as well?
Thanks
I would spend the extra money on good pads. Autozone products are junk.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:05 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The metallic pads can ruin your hubs from what I've read. Something about the shavings clogging up sensors.

I'll let Mike or others chime in about it.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

AutoZone discontinued the ceramic pads.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/has good prices on brakes.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:46 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just stay away from anything "store brand" unless you know for sure its quality. I would lay down a few extra bucks for a good quality, low dust and squeak brake pad. Do a search and you can find posts that list some recommended brands. If you need more help with it let us know.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The semi metallics are dirty and noisy. They are crap

Old 02-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so metallic and semi-metallic are out. I did a search and came up with Akebono and Ferodo pads. does anyone have a recomendation on pads that I can pick up at my local Napa, Carquest, Autozone, Advance or other retailer. Kinda wanted to get these brakes done tomorrow. If I order online and wait for them to come in, it woukld be another 3 weeks before I can get around to putting then on.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always used Carquest premium (or gold..havn't done brakes in a while). It's low dust, low noise, works fantastically for me

Old 02-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The semi metallics are dirty and noisy. They are crap
There are a whole group of people that would disagree with the above statement. Semi-metalics and Ceramics both have their plusses/minuses. I tried Ceramics (in my car) and personally I was not thrilled. I have a few car buddies that also did the same thing with similar experience. But, go ahead do what you want. Let us know how they compare to what's in there now.

As for pad mfgrs, ones I ordered from Roverparts.com that were supposed to be "special" pads for low noise. They ended up being Federal Mogul pads.A lot of parts stores sell pads made by this company. So, to say parts store pads are junk, is short-sighted. The thing is, you may not know what company made the pads you are inquiring about. Certainly, most counter dudes won't know unless it's a good parts store. It's not any cheaper buying them at a parts store vs Roverparts.com, so why not go that route? To finish the story, mine are quiet and don't produce a lot of dust ..that sticks on my wheels anyway. Discos wheels are a little further away from the brake rotors than some vehicles, so the dust problem is not as severe in my mind.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My response was a reply to the original post, asking about AutoZone Brake pads. I put them on when I first bought my truck and found that they were junk.

Guess I should have clarified that the pads were from Autozone.

Quick Reply: Autozone brake pads