Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux Fans Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aux Fans Again

So I went to a salvage yard today that told me they had a pair of aux fans for my DI. I specifically told them that the DI has a diff set-up than a DII. They insisted the fans were from a 98 DI and a 97 DI. I paid 150 for the pair got them home and they were DII fans. They are too big to fit side by side. Can I swap motors as my fans are not seized they just don't come on? I know the shape of the motor is slightly diff but if I can squeeze them in would the electronics match up? I have a custom grill so I have a little room to play with.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

As long as the plugs are the same and everything fits I dont see why not.
It has been my experience with salvage yards that unless they are a LR yard they no nothing and it is best to pull the parts yourself if you can.
If you take your old fans out and take the motor to Advance Auto Parts they can get you a new motor for about $50.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Winching

Yeah that's my experience too. And that's what I usually do but I was in a hurry as this is my DD and I have school/work/family so it can't be down. I don't have any advance auto parts near me. Can NAPA or AutoZone get the motors? Those are the only ones near me.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude 150$ is pretty steep. I get mine for 14$ at my junk yard.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Winching

Seriously. New they are 350, the next cheapest one at a junk yard around here was 100-200 per fan so I thought i was doing good.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default jump them first

Originally Posted by discomedic4
So I went to a salvage yard today that told me they had a pair of aux fans for my DI. I specifically told them that the DI has a diff set-up than a DII. They insisted the fans were from a 98 DI and a 97 DI. I paid 150 for the pair got them home and they were DII fans. They are too big to fit side by side. Can I swap motors as my fans are not seized they just don't come on? I know the shape of the motor is slightly diff but if I can squeeze them in would the electronics match up? I have a custom grill so I have a little room to play with.

Have you jumped them to see if they work? mine never came on my RR 4.0 SE and think it was the pressure switch. i found the harness underneith and actually hard wired them to run all the time. They ran for almost 4 years like that... try this first as the motors almost never dye..

good luck, Chris

Last edited by vandev; 06-14-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Winching

Will do. I planned on doing that but I was near the junk yard (40 min from my house) so I figured pick them and return them if I don't need them. They have a 90 day return policy on them. Will work on it tomorrow afternoon.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Look at the motors on the D1. They are freaky looking. Not what you normally expect out of a fan motor. I took one of mine apart as it stopped working as well. The commutator is on the outside. They are reverse from how you would think they should work. There is a pin that goes through the middle. It is stationary and the fan spins around that shaft.

Take the actual blades off and see if they screw on. If they do, the RPM should be close on the motor. Too bad you don't have a good one to compare it to...

Old 06-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

D2's only have a single fan, they have sold you something from a different vehicle.
I would take them back and act like you know what "YOU" are talking about.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Winching

Well I will be returning the fans. I could not get the DII motors to work. The plugs match up and they turn on, I could even get them mounted in the old shrouds but the fans themselves mount differently. Oh well. It was worth a shot. I will keep looking around as they are in short supply around where I live. Spencerfitch could you get your hands on some for the 14 dollars and ship them to me? I would pay you 70 for the pair so that would cover your shipping and pay you some for your trouble. Let me know.

Quick Reply: Aux Fans Again