Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baby Car Seats in Disco

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:26 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got an 01 and the very next day my wife says,"I like the car but I keep getting this black stuff on my pants". We are both taller so getting the kids in and out is tight but not impossible but look where your knee is when your putting the kids in, No more tire dressing for this car !! Our kids are 3 and 6 so both seats are forward facing. We did not have any issues with a rear facing seat in a 99 HSE I had previously..

Last edited by roverowner; 05-29-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll go against the grain here and give you my thoughts on child seats in the Disco.

My wife has a Disco II, we have 3 kids...7, 5 and 7 months old. The biggest complaint I have is if we put all of the kids in the backseats (baby rear-facing in the middle) booster seats on the left and right, it becomes difficult for the older kids to buckle their seat belts without pushing on the car-seat base and making it go at weird angles...requiring the thing to be set back up.

I don't think getting the rear-facing seat in and out of the disco is much of a challenge, my wife is fairly tall though and I'm 6'. For someone who is shorter I can see how it might be a problem, but if you got some of those side-bars that you could stand on, it shouldn't be an issue...especially considering a shorter driver is going to have the driver's seat moved up forward more and that should leave ample room in the back to get the child seat in and out of the truck.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

We have a stock 2003 Discovery, with 6-year old and 1 year-old kids. It's currently set-up with booster and rear-facing (soon to be front-facing) child seats. My wife is about 5'4, and doesn't really have any problems with the seats (we've owned it since new, so she's had plenty of experience).

Another person mentioned problems with 3 seats in the row, and I agree. I tried it once (picking up a neighbor's kid), it barely worked and I wouldn't recommend it.

Note: we do have the Discovery side rails, which although hamper off-road prowess, make a big difference with the kids. My 6-year-old can exit the Disco all by herself with no problems.

Now if we can just keep the Disco running... it's been an expensive 2009 so far

RedAustinIX

Old 06-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by david1289
Do you guys think that most vehicles are "difficult" with having to use the rear facing car seats? If most are just as difficult, then I may as well hang onto the Disco and deal with the rear facing car seats for about a year...
Was not a problem in our Volvo.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jrockett
I'd love to buy a Volvo wagon, especially those cross country ones but they aren't cheap.
Our wagon set us back $2300, paid cash of course.
You may "want" the Cross Country, but all you "need" is a standard wagon.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX

Another person mentioned problems with 3 seats in the row, and I agree. I tried it once (picking up a neighbor's kid), it barely worked and I wouldn't recommend it.

RedAustinIX
Not a problem with our Volvo, thats why we bought it.
It was the only car that fit three car seats in the back seat...MAN I LOVE THE VOLVO!!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by roverowner
We just got an 01 and the very next day my wife says,"I like the car but I keep getting this black stuff on my pants". We are both taller so getting the kids in and out is tight but not impossible but look where your knee is when your putting the kids in, No more tire dressing for this car !! Our kids are 3 and 6 so both seats are forward facing. We did not have any issues with a rear facing seat in a 99 HSE I had previously..
I was going to say that too! Man, so many times I would have to go change my pants because I leaned on the tire...

Old 06-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Our wagon set us back $2300, paid cash of course.
You may "want" the Cross Country, but all you "need" is a standard wagon.
Sadly, I agree. I had some extra cash for a nice standard wagon but our upstairs A/C just went out so bye bye extra. I guess this is what the EMS fund is for.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Drifting

I'm new to the Land Rover, but I've got two sons, 10 and 3. My wife and I have never had a car that putting the kids and carseats in and out of was easy. We've always sacrificed that for having something more stylish. That sounds bad, but it's true.

It hasn't been a big deal though. Our kids are fine, and if anything, more independent as a result. We taught them how to get in and out of their seats at an early age because it was a pain in the *** to do it for them...LOL!!

Old 07-26-2009, 12:36 PM
6th Gear

We used our Disco II as the main transportation for our son from birth up to now 4 years. With the snap in "bucket" for infants it was pretty easy. Once he was in forward facing he really loved the Disco because of the stadium seating he could actually see what was going on outside. My wife's 5'4" and managed to get him in the middle positioned car seat without too much trouble. By 12 months they're taking direction and climbing into the seat by themselves. Any time I suggest taking him in the car now rather than the Disco he objects - we're probably going to keep the Disco as long as it keeps going as a spare car because he likes it so much.

Quick Reply: Baby Car Seats in Disco