Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back in a D2

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Back in a D2

After a 5-6 years of having 2 different Land Cruisers and a few BMW's I'm back in a D2. Picked up a 2000 with only 97K miles on it. It needs a little TLC but is in good shape overall. Strange thing is CarFax shows it wasn't registered for the first time till the end of 2001 and it only had 18 miles when registered. Lucked out and it doesn't have sunroofs Standard coil springs in back which is nice since it makes doing the lift easier, no ACE either. Plans for it are 2" med TF lift, 265/75/16 tires, ARB lockers and misc overlanding gear. I'm going to paint the roof white since the clear coat is starting to fade but the rest of the pain is in good shape.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:20 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Thats nice plus low miles. Enjoy!

Old 01-19-2017, 06:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Nice, like the color, too.

I've planned on painting my roof white also...kind of gives them that Defender look. Just waiting for warmer weather here.

Looking forward to following along with your build.

Brian.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Well the seat heater tried to set me on fire today so I'll have to pull off the leather and see what is wrong with the heating element. One spot got crazy hot so something is not right. Sill have my D1 wiper arms from my last D2 so those are going on tomorrow with some fresh wiper blades. Also got some new front rotors and low dust ceramic pads because they are down to the wear indicators. The roof painting will have to wait till the spring because it is too cold to paint here as well.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 271 Likes on 179 Posts

Very cool. I actually really like that color and had a line on one, but my wife didn't care for it, so no dice. However, you are making me rethink not modifying ours significantly. It can be done for so cheap compared to our Jeep, so it makes me think about doing it. Hope to see some updates.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex J
Well the seat heater tried to set me on fire today so I'll have to pull off the leather and see what is wrong with the heating element. One spot got crazy hot so something is not right. Sill have my D1 wiper arms from my last D2 so those are going on tomorrow with some fresh wiper blades. Also got some new front rotors and low dust ceramic pads because they are down to the wear indicators. The roof painting will have to wait till the spring because it is too cold to paint here as well.
post some pictures on that seat removal. I've got just the bottom seat heaters and gonna put the back heatering in also. If you check out rimmer brothers (Discovery 2 Seats at www.rimmerbros.co.uk) they have the seat heaters and cushions pretty cheap. There is the direct link for the d2 if you need it

Old 01-20-2017, 11:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
post some pictures on that seat removal. I've got just the bottom seat heaters and gonna put the back heatering in also. If you check out rimmer brothers (Discovery 2 Seats at www.rimmerbros.co.uk) they have the seat heaters and cushions pretty cheap. There is the direct link for the d2 if you need it
If you have a D2 it already has the heating elements in the front seats all you need are the switches and switch trim panel. All the other components are ready to go, wires, fuses, relays ect.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex J
If you have a D2 it already has the heating elements in the front seats all you need are the switches and switch trim panel. All the other components are ready to go, wires, fuses, relays ect.
i have the heated seats but only the bottom heating element. I like my butt warm but it would be just a bit sweeter if my back was warm also

Old 01-21-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Looks a nice truck AlexJ. Very similar to my 2000 V8 HSE only difference it was black.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Did some work on the D2 yesterday. Replaced the front brakes, hopefully fixed the leaking heater hoses, and cleaned out the HVAC blower fan. The drivers seat is a lost cause at this point. The motor that tilts the front of the seat bottom up and down is dead, has power going to it but it won't move and there is a pretty good burn spot in the seat heater pad. So I think I'm just going to try and find a good used one since that will probably be cheaper than a new motor and heating element and it saves the time of taking the seat apart to replace those items. Whoever had the wheels off last had no idea what a torque wrench is and I had to jump on my 24" long ratchet to get the front lug nuts loose. Tomorrow I'll retorque the rear ones to the correct spec and check the ones holding on the spare. Next repair is probably going to be tracking down the power steering leak, I topped it off 2-3 days ago and it hasn't dropped a visible amount in the tank but it will leave one or two small drips overnight when parked.

Now for pictures.

New pads vs. old

Ready to go with new rotors and low dust ceramic pads.

Probably why the blower made noise.

Cleaned up.

Quick Reply: Back in a D2