Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back drivers side door will not open from inside or outside

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 11:09 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Back drivers side door will not open from inside or outside

A few months ago I purchased a 2003 discovery 2 in great condition except that it had two problems. First problem was the head gaskets and I am excited to say I have that fixed and the truck runs great. I thought the second problem was going to be easy compared to the first but I have spent hours trying to figure it out and have got nowhere. The problem is the previous owner attempted to fix a problem with the door latch on the left side rear door. He left me a ziplock bag with parts and the inside door cover removed and the door will not open from the inside or outside. The outside door handle is disconnected and the little bar that connects to the handle is in the bag. The inside handle is still on the door but the cable is disconnected. I have spent hours with a flexible rod with a hook on the end trying to unlatch the door so I can get the door open to replace the latch actuator. I have fished around from inside the cab using a small mirror and I have also removed the rubber window trim on the outside and I have fished around and pulled what I think is the latch on the actuator that should open the door. I don't know where else to turn to and i'm hoping somebody will have had experience or know of a similar post. Thank You in advance for any help

Old 12-18-2019, 02:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

So you can see from the picture where the two places to actuate the mechanism are. Make sure the door isn't locked, or moving the actuator obviously won't do anything. Since you said the door cover is removed, I'd say it would be easiest to go in through the same hole that the cable goes through.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:44 PM
8th Gear

Jason
That helps allot. I think that little security flap might be why I can't see that latch. Great diagram, that's exactly what I needed. Thank You so much for your help!

Old 12-19-2019, 04:18 PM
8th Gear

I was able to get my door fixed and put back together thanks to Jason. In-case anybody else has the same problem I took a couple pictures that might help. In my case the door was locked and the only way to open the door was to pull the small lever under the plastic flap.

First open this little plastic flap.

Pull lever lever towards you with finger.