Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 05:58 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad Experience

Well, got the truck back after many upgrades general maintainence stuff done. The main thing was installing a TT / Detroit combination. When we pulled the rear apart we found the hub seals were bad... I wish I had just put them back in at that point but the shop didn't know they were not rebuildable and pulled one apart, stranding me on the lift until I could get replacements delivered. Because of the crazy price of new hubs I went the used route, I tried for 2 days to call the people DiscoMike referred me to because their website would not accept orders outside the USA without luck so I tried to track down another vendor for the hubs. I found one, and the experience has been hell.

1. They said they had them on Thursday and could ship them next-day so I would have things back together on Friday. They never arrived.
2. On Friday they claimed they had to pull them and didn't have them right at hand, so I waited... and they promised to ship and send a tracking number, no number arrived.
3. Monday nothing arrived.... no tracking number, and FedEx had no record of a shipment but the vendor insisted they did send them. They agreed to send 'another' set (now if they had to pull them where did they get the 2nd set?) if they couldn't find them with FedEx... they did send them but never sent a tracking number.
4. Tuesday working through FedEx I finally managed to track the shipment and got them to the mechanic. The right rear had bad bearings.... so I called the vendor and they said they had another one and could send it.
5. Today I called FedEx and they still have no record of a replacement shipment. The vendor is closed and/or not answering my phone calls.
6. I took the car home, and the bad bearing seems to also be causing an ABS fault. As well as eventual dash christmas lights... also turning generates a heavy thunking noise when turning one way (not the other)... but the time I got home the locker was engaging and disengaging when driving in a straight line.

This is crazy, it took over a week to get everything done due to shipping delays etc. At least I got a lot of other things done at the same time, being in Canada all the service schedule moves up dramatically due to the harsh-environment.

I did talk to GBR and they're considering starting to do rebuilt hub assemblies... please let them know you'd really like to see them do this... $450+ per hub for new is crazy but dealing with incompetent used vendors is even worse.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Bad Experience

Who did you use to get the used parts? There is a scrap yard close to me, But I haven't gotten much from them.

Sorry to hear about your woes. I know you have been trying to get your truck pristine. Sucks when you can't get parts in...

Good Luck with everything..

Old 08-15-2007, 09:47 PM
ajh
Winching

I'm going try to get them to express them tomorrow, if they're at all difficult I'll just tell them they're coming back and as soon as I have new ones return these. Got the amp mounted, didn't realize it would be about 3" too long to fit in the space I wanted in the rear quarter panel, had to do some trimming

Hope to get the crossovers and amp wired up tomorrow.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:21 PM
ajh
Winching

Well, they did not send express as they promised. They sent ground, WITH missing paperwork so it just sat at the depot and would have kept sitting there if I had not found out, called, and used my own FedEx account to have it shipped to me. The company is Car Cannibal and the only way the seem to answer my phone calls is when I change phones or block my number. I would strongly recommend not dealing with them. In Canada Land Rover Salvage is good, just didn't have what I needed.

I am still having problems and may end up sending everything back and just paying retail new for the hubs.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the info. They are about 100 miles from me and thought of taking a day trip down there. I need a headliner, so they are about all I have for an option, but I did replace my exh manifold and roverlandparts.com was cheaper, even with shipping.