Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Ext. Warranty Experience - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Ext. Warranty Experience - Advice Please

My fiancée purchased an extended warranty from Great Lakes Warranty Corporation for her 2000 Discovery (now with close to 100,000 miles). The engine died and it was determined by the mechanic that the heads warped. We are now over 3 months without the car due to the warranty company constantly stalling. They prodded us for the upkeep records, which I provided, since I do most of the work myself. They felt this was not good enough, even though the warranty states a certified mechanic does not have to perform the oil changes, etc. Finally, I got them to agree this was suffice, so they told the mechanic to pull the car apart to see if it was our fault for bad maintenance or if it was the parts failing. They said they would cover the pull-apart ONLY if it was the parts failing. So he pulls the car apart… and says it was the parts failing… but this was not good enough so they stalled for another month. I finally, again, got them to agree to send an adjuster out who ordered the part be sent to a metal shop to prove the heads warped due to faulty construction. Again, the results were that it was the part that failed not bad maintenance. Now here is the confusing part… They gave us two options… 1) we get a pulled engine from a scrap yard and they will cover the engine swap for $600, but we have to pay $1,200 out of pocket to cover the engine pull-apart and diagnostics to prove it was the parts or 2) we have the engine rebuilt by the mechanic and they will cover $2,900, but we are out $1,500 out of pocket to cover the engine pull-apart and diagnostics. First, I don’t see how the out-of-pocket prices should differ. Second, and most of all, why we should pay any of the work they ordered to prove it was the engine falling apart. Does anyone have any suggestions in dealing with a warranty company like this? Luckily we have a backup beater car, or we would be out some serious car rental fees. Thanks for all help in advance!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Bad Ext. Warranty Experience - Advice Please

Well that is better luck than I had. I had my transmission pulled apart to see the cause and they woud not pay for anything on it so I payed out of pocket for the transmission and getting it pulled apart I cancelled the ext warranty and that is about all I could do.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi,
I'd say that if your contract does not specifically state that you're liable for all this 'pulling apart' monkey business if you're not found to be at fault then they're trying to pull a fast one on you. I'd get an attorney involved now because you and (hope she's still your) wife, in the eyes of a judge have been far more than reasonable and accommodating and they'd probably lean in your favor in court. Read your contract carefully though because you might be able to discern whether or not you've got any legal leverage before you have to start paying an attorney to argue for you. You've experienced loss of use, loss of productivity, and loss of sanity for sure!
Best of luck to you,
Walter

Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

As a retired service manager zi delt with these aftermarlet companys for years.
Call me and I'll try and point you in the right direction.
303-862-7680

Old 08-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cltmmm

My fiancée purchased an extended warranty from Great Lakes Warranty Corporation for her 2000 Discovery (now with close to 100,000 miles). The engine died and it was determined by the mechanic that the heads warped. We are now over 3 months without the car due to the warranty company constantly stalling. They prodded us for the upkeep records, which I provided, since I do most of the work myself. They felt this was not good enough, even though the warranty states a certified mechanic does not have to perform the oil changes, etc. Finally, I got them to agree this was suffice, so they told the mechanic to pull the car apart to see if it was our fault for bad maintenance or if it was the parts failing. They said they would cover the pull-apart ONLY if it was the parts failing. So he pulls the car apart… and says it was the parts failing… but this was not good enough so they stalled for another month. I finally, again, got them to agree to send an adjuster out who ordered the part be sent to a metal shop to prove the heads warped due to faulty construction. Again, the results were that it was the part that failed not bad maintenance. Now here is the confusing part… They gave us two options… 1) we get a pulled engine from a scrap yard and they will cover the engine swap for $600, but we have to pay $1,200 out of pocket to cover the engine pull-apart and diagnostics to prove it was the parts or 2) we have the engine rebuilt by the mechanic and they will cover $2,900, but we are out $1,500 out of pocket to cover the engine pull-apart and diagnostics. First, I don’t see how the out-of-pocket prices should differ. Second, and most of all, why we should pay any of the work they ordered to prove it was the engine falling apart. Does anyone have any suggestions in dealing with a warranty company like this? Luckily we have a backup beater car, or we would be out some serious car rental fees. Thanks for all help in advance!
I hate to say it, but 99% of aftermarket warranty companies are rip off artists. They are in the business to make money, not help you. I have dealt with them before, and they will do everything possible to deny a claim.

Not to be a jerk, but you should have down some research on the particular company before dropping the cash for their non-service. http://badbusinessbureau.com/reports/0/102/RipOff0102780.htm

Bottom line is you’re much better off taking the money you’d pay one of these companies and put it into a savings account. I am guessing you paid around $2-$3k for the warranty (depending on what level you purchased). The cash could be much more useful to you in a savings account and then used for repairs DIY.

My $.02