Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 02:57 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a bad idea?

I just bought a 2000 D2, on my way home from las vegas it blew the thermostat to water pump hose at the top curve. I shut it off before the needle pegged hot but it was rising fast. I understand I may have pooched the engine based on threads here. With that being said I want to make some changes, please advise.

1. Is it a bad idea to attach the lower radiator inlet directly to the water pump with a splice to the heater and resevoir, while tying the upper hose coming out by the alternator to the upper radiator port.

2. If so where would I be better off placing the inline thermostat (aluminum aftermarket). Would it be the upper or lower radiator line after the modification, I assume the lower hose as that is where the hot water is coming from the engine, correct?

Why would I do this? I would rather have a simple system where I can get parts more readily.

3. My other thought was to mount a second radiator with a custom fabricated hood (hmmwv style). No I am not grandiose, but I need function and Im willing to put the money into it. Any experience in this realm would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited by Apestit; 08-26-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:20 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

I guess if you want to spend money on it, get a custom beefier aluminum radiator the you can fit in there. But first change your thermostat to the 180 and youll be fine. I just had an episode where the thermostat didnt open and overheated few days ago. With regards to parts, there are so many out there available.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
I guess if you want to spend money on it, get a custom beefier aluminum radiator the you can fit in there. But first change your thermostat to the 180 and youll be fine. I just had an episode where the thermostat didnt open and overheated few days ago. With regards to parts, there are so many out there available.
X1 ............ buy an original LR D2 TD5 stat (lower temperature stat) and fit it don't waste your hard earned dosh on cheapo aftermarket stats as they rarely last the distance.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

A direct connection from the radiator outlet + an inline thermostat + a beefy solid aluminium radiator has not been a bad idea in 4 years :

Attached Thumbnails Is this a bad idea?-plumbing-lower.jpg   Is this a bad idea?-solid-bottom-pipe.jpg   Is this a bad idea?-outlet-bottom-pipe.jpg   Is this a bad idea?-side-radiator.jpg   Is this a bad idea?-line.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
Apestit (09-05-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Looks like you're on the right track. In line thermostat is the way to go. 180* thermostat and you'll need an in line housing. There are bunches of threads on it. You'll want to go with the top hose. That's the hot side I believe, and it's where everyone puts their in line stats.

Hood louvers... Bail. Its been done, but you're going to get rain water on everything. Instead go to a mesh style grille. I fabricated my own. Search for Saudi Grill for pictures. Mine is a little different, but I'm on my phone right now. Helps a lot.

Also a bigger radiator would definitely help. dusty1 retrofitted a late model Silverado radiator I believe, and I plan to do the same whenever I need to replace my rad.

There's more. Ill try to come back later on my laptop

Old 08-27-2017, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Awesome thanks for the pics too, I have the parts coming. Thanks again.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:30 PM
Drifting

Well, I got all the stuff today to get this done, also I have been watching my temp using the blue tooth autometer gauge set that runs through the OBDII. Ive been running temps of 210-240 while the factory dummy temp gauge stays centered. The kicker is that when I pulled the factory thermostat, it was gutted, there was nothing in it, so Ive been running these temps with free flow. Suggestions? Bigger radiator? second radiator? Radiator fan? tell me your thoughts. I live in AZ and it has been hot.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:31 PM
Drifting

Externet, what radiator did you install?

Old 09-06-2017, 07:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

If nothing inside T-stat housing, then it will not function properly, (bypass open all the time) so coolant will not flow the correct direction trough radiator, cause half of it will just flow back into engine trough upper T connection straight trough T-stat and won't go to radiator to get cooled, if Stat is gutted then upper connection should be blocked off,

Old 09-06-2017, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Ok Ill piece this together this morning. Thank you for the reply,

Quick Reply: Is this a bad idea?