Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad news: Tom Wood's driveshaft failed

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010 | 07:17 AM
Baja

I would just rebuild it with a new centering kit. I'd put in new u-joints too, they are cheap and you have to remove them to replace the centering ball.
You must lube the centering ball as instructed by TW.
You can go with non-serviceable components (you'd need a different center head on the TW if you went that route), but you should plan on rebuilding it every 40k or so. Some people go well over 100k on the stock propshaft, some people have them fail at 35k. Only you can decide what your gearbox is worth to you and how much you like to gamble.
If you replace your FWD unit output flange with one from a D1 you can use a D1 propshaft, but it's not a good idea for the reason Spike mentioned. (if you want to go that route, I have one I'll trade you for your DII flange)

Old 05-26-2010 | 10:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Thumbs up here is a non serviceable u joint

Here is a non serviceable u joint

http://www.drivewire.com/make/cat/u-joints/landrover/

I have also seen ones that are serviceable but have non serviceable seals so you would not have to worry about doing it every 3,000 miles..

i think i am going with neapco as they have them in stock down the street...another Fu%^king thing i have to worry about..

I am going to see if i can get a license plate for my truck "BFPOS" i think anyone with a land rover will figure this one out..

Old 05-26-2010 | 11:52 AM
Pro Wrench

I think its ridiculous that you have to relube the center ball every 3,000 miles..

Old 05-26-2010 | 12:05 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
I think its ridiculous that you have to relube the center ball every 3,000 miles..
The way TW explained it to me was that he makes 90%+ of his shafts for trucks that are off-road only and rarely go over 30mph and the only complaints he ever has are from people who put his shafts on trucks that are daily drivers and/or are running interstate speeds.

My 2cents is this:

If you are going to do serious off-road in your rover, work on it yourself, and don't mind putting 30min into lubing the centering ball every 3,000 then go TW. Now if you are just going to drive this truck on the street/highway and/or don't work on it yourself then I would just have the stock shaft rebuilt.

I am not trying to be rude or pick on anyone, just putting my thoughts in.

Old 05-26-2010 | 03:13 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
The Spicer service interval is every 5,000 miles under "normal" use. I just like doing it when I change my oil, which is every 3,000, so it's easier to remember and I'm already under the truck.

Old 05-26-2010 | 03:33 PM
Pro Wrench

I use sythetic and dont change for every 8k.

I also drive ALOT which would mean relubing the driveshaft VERY often.

Old 05-26-2010 | 07:18 PM
Team Owner

See, I bought a DI so I dont have to worry about it.
Just lube all four u-joints at every oil change or after deep wading and forget about it.
The original u-joints lasted 180,000 miles before I replaced them because they would no longer take grease.

I feel bad for you DII guys.

Vandev-your rants are hilarious. I too have wondered if someone could fashion a "deflector shield" to keep the driveshaft from popping a hole in the side of the transmission when the double cardon fails.

Old 05-26-2010 | 07:18 PM

RJ95, i COMMEND YOU ON YOUR WRITE-UP AND PICS.

All this makes me appreciate my DI that much more, I am pretty much convinced I will stick to the DI in any future Discoveries I might consider buying.

I would not like to mess with the centering ball every three K miles. If it ain't made for doing over 30 mph, U can keep it.

Good Luck One and All DII owners. And remember, they are just an old English Farm Truck wearing it's Sunday Best Clothes.

Old 05-26-2010 | 11:04 PM
TReK

so are neapco center ball kits serviceable and if so whats the service interval?

Old 05-26-2010 | 11:50 PM
|
Rock Crawling

So much replies!!! Yes, like Danny Lee mentioned, rj95lss, THANK YOU for the detailed write-up. Now it gives me more confidence to tackle this centering ball grease job every 3K.

@Vandev-- thanks for the info about the u-joints. And Spike is right, your rants are enlightening

Ahh, so much with you guys and the DI . Our DII looks much better with cleaner lines. Hehe, but there just a pain in the A**.

Oh well, I'm keeping my eye out for a RRC!

Quick Reply: Bad news: Tom Wood's driveshaft failed