Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Radiator???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 10:17 AM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bad Radiator???

So I got my vehicle back from the shop a week ago and I noticed the temps were again, fast forward to today. I came back from the park wanted check something out. I got underneath my vehicle and checked the hose that goes into the water pump to the thermostat and it was hot to the touch, then I touched the hose from the radiator to wherever it leads and it wasn't as hot, it was warm either but the temperature was a noticeable difference between the two. Does this mean I have a bad radiator?

Old 09-28-2021, 11:38 AM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by LRD2Dave
So I got my vehicle back from the shop a week ago and I noticed the temps were again, fast forward to today. I came back from the park wanted check something out. I got underneath my vehicle and checked the hose that goes into the water pump to the thermostat and it was hot to the touch, then I touched the hose from the radiator to wherever it leads and it wasn't as hot, it was warm either but the temperature was a noticeable difference between the two. Does this mean I have a bad radiator?

you need a inline thermostat and never worry about your cooling system again, and sounds like you need one asap

Old 09-28-2021, 11:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 763 Likes on 499 Posts

Oh you definitely need to worry about your cooling system even with the inline mod. It is 100% a good idea but a plastic end capped radiator is always a potential to fail at anytime not to mention the plastic overflow tank and hose conditions.

That said, you should see a temp differential across the radiator. The radiators job is to remove heat from the system. It's hard to say just by feeling it and too many factors to say based on that description if your radiator is bad.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:11 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
you need a inline thermostat and never worry about your cooling system again, and sounds like you need one asap
Yeah I should look into that, there's a thread on here somewhere where a guy did it so I'll see what I can do.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:14 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by whowa004
Oh you definitely need to worry about your cooling system even with the inline mod. It is 100% a good idea but a plastic end capped radiator is always a potential to fail at anytime not to mention the plastic overflow tank and hose conditions.

That said, you should see a temp differential across the radiator. The radiators job is to remove heat from the system. It's hard to say just by feeling it and too many factors to say based on that description if your radiator is bad.
The radiator isn't that old either I bought it back in 2017. Also noticed how hard the hoses are when I get back and check it. Honestly the overheating issue has been haunting me for a couple of years now. Last I replaced all of coolant system parts except the radiator. So I'm not sure what else to do except the online thermostat. I'm probably gonna take it back to the shop this weekend and tell them to look into it again because I expected for my vehicle to run smoothly without overheating after paying close to $2000.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 763 Likes on 499 Posts

A new radiator and the inline mod is where I'd start for sure if everything else is new however the shop should make it right as that seems criminal. Hard hoses can also be caused by over pressuring due to a hg issue.

Old 09-28-2021, 01:13 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by whowa004
A new radiator and the inline mod is where I'd start for sure if everything else is new however the shop should make it right as that seems criminal. Hard hoses can also be caused by over pressuring due to a hg issue.
I don't know, I'm tired of replacing parts that have been replaced and I just want it to work. Yeah I'ma take it back them and tell wtf is up and be real stern about the issue. The thing is I actually they actually replaced my HG and stuff so I'm like idk what's going on now.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:36 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

@Lr2D2 it is hard from your description to determine which hoses you are talking about.

There is one hose out of the bottom of the rad to the thermostat
The thermostat to water pump
Water pump to rad via the T

Which hose are hot and cold of those 3

Old 09-28-2021, 08:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@Lr2D2 it is hard from your description to determine which hoses you are talking about.

There is one hose out of the bottom of the rad to the thermostat
The thermostat to water pump
Water pump to rad via the T

Which hose are hot and cold of those 3
Oh yes I was talking about the hose from the radiator to thermostat.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:04 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

@Lr2D2 Ok if I have this right:

Option 1 likey a bad thermostat

The hose from the rad to thermostat was very hot
Hose from the thermostat to water pump was cooler

Option 2 This one is tough but I would lean towards water pump or a blockage - It implies the coolant in the rad is cold but the engine coolant is hot. It could be rad, water pump, blockage elsewhere possibly the thermostat.
A coolant systems flush will let you see if coolant is flowing and where it might not be. But your rad would have be almost totally blocked, it could be

The hose from the rad to thermostat was very cold or cool
Hose from the thermostat to water pump was hot

Quick Reply: Bad Radiator???