Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad time to bypass your thermostat heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:08 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default bad time to bypass your thermostat heater

Especially with snow and sleet in the florida panhandle. We in the north always install new TB water jacket seals or else the damn things freeze up while driving. I hope nothing happens to the cheapskates that think they are safe. Actually the poor bastard in front of him or their relatives driving. There is a reason its there and pray to god it won't freeze on you for your stupidity.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

If you can come up with even 1 documented case of this BS actually happening I will undo my "cheapskate fix" and awaken from my "stupidity". Jesus think of the lives that could be saved!!

Old 01-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a friend bypass his. His wife ran into the the garage because the throttle would not back down. Just leting you know. I could care less what you do with it.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

They actually get this quite a bit on Car Talk, people having problems in the winter time with their cars still cruising at highway speeds even though their foot is off the gas.
I will try and find a segment or two.
The throttle body heater is there for a reason.
If they did not think it was needed they would not have spent the time to engineer it, design it, build it and then install it.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:02 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The thing that confuses me is that the kit costs $25 and it you prepare the surfaces properly and use some permatext or whatever on the surfaces of the gasket it is a near permanent fix.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by lipadj46
The thing that confuses me is that the kit costs $25 and it you prepare the surfaces properly and use some permatext or whatever on the surfaces of the gasket it is a near permanent fix.
key words "near permanent."

Old 01-10-2010, 02:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Disco C
I had a friend bypass his. His wife ran into the the garage because the throttle would not back down. Just leting you know. I could care less what you do with it.
Come on man!!! HIS WIFE !!?? Do I have to say anything else?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:28 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
key words "near permanent."
If you do it correctly it will last as long as any other repair and even if you have to do it every 75,000 miles it is easy to do. In my climate I believe it is necessary especially with my pregnant wife and 2 year old driving around in the truck.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had it bypassed on my BMW that I don't drive in the winter and one time while driving in the mountains my throttle plate got stuck open. It wasn't even below 32 degrees when that happed. Ice will form on the throttle plate even in above freezing temperatures. What is that physics law called?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Especially with snow and sleet in the florida panhandle. We in the north always install new TB water jacket seals or else the damn things freeze up while driving. I hope nothing happens to the cheapskates that think they are safe. Actually the poor bastard in front of him or their relatives driving. There is a reason its there and pray to god it won't freeze on you for your stupidity.
So, this cheap sake, has run with a by-pass for 3 years in California and 4 years in Colorado and never had a problem. Pretty much the same with 4 or 5 people I know here that have by-passed them and never looked back.

Quick Reply: bad time to bypass your thermostat heater