Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Vibrationssssssss

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Vibrationssssssss

Hello all,

The past few days Ive been experiencing a vibration on acceleration and when Im on the highway going about 70 and lift my foot off the gas and it starts to deccelerate it starts to vibrate again. I then realized I never rebuilt my front drive shaft which is where the vibration seems like its coming from because I can feel it coming from the floorboard beneath my feet.

So, Ive stopped driving it until the problem is solved. However, I do have a question. I know there really arent any sympons before your driveshaft falling apart but I went underneath my truck to take a look at it and there is definately some play coming from the transfer case but not from the front axle. Is this normal?

Thanx

Old 10-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You have lucked out going as long as you have, tear the shaft out and rebuild or replace it ASAP.
How mechanical are you, do you have a drive line shop in your area?

Old 10-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Ya, Im pretty mechanical although I dont think I have the necessary tools to do the rebuild myself. Im just curious as to why it would be loose at the transfer case end?

Old 10-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Is it loose as in rotational play, or loose as in up/down and side to side movement? Are you talking about the shaft being loose, or the flange on the transfer case that the shaft bolts to?

Old 10-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Three Wheeling

its loose in rotational play, Its not loose from the flange to the transfer case.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Pro Wrench

Some rotational play is normal due to the slop in the gears in the case. On mine, I can rotate my front shaft a few degrees, or maybe 1/8-1/4" before the rear shaft moves.

Regardless, you need to stop driving it and rebuild that front shaft, or take it to a drive line shop and have it rebuilt with grease-able joints and an new centering ball.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Nevermind, its loose in the context that you are able to wiggle it up and down. Also, I always thought the failing point was the end going to the axle. According the the rave manual, there is a greaseable nipple there. Is the common failure point the end coming from the transfer case?

Here is a video of the loose end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iPh5qHcesA

Last edited by thehulk; 10-10-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Pro Wrench

The fail point on these axles is the double cardan joint at the transfer case because of the close proximity to the catalytic converters, and lack of grease nipples.

From what I see in the video: Do NOT continue driving this. If one of those joints fails while driving, the shaft could very likely be flung sideways into your transmission, creating a nice hole in your transmission case allowing you to see the inside of your transmission. Your vehiclewill be out of commission while you have the shaft out, either rebuilding it yourself, or having it done at a drive line shop. Since yours is a 2003, you have no way to lock the differential, allowing it to drive with the rear shaft only while the front shaft is being rebuilt. If you aren't going to do the work yourself, make an appointment at a drive line shop to drop it off in the morning, and hopefully pick it up that night.

See this thread for details, and part numbers:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=29302

Old 10-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Soo, I took off my front driveshaft to do the rebuild on it and I notice ports to grease it up as shown in the pics. Am I right in thinking this shaft was already rebuilt and now I have to give it a good grease up and put it back on?

Attached Thumbnails Bad Vibrationssssssss-dc2.jpg   Bad Vibrationssssssss-dc.jpg  
Old 10-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Pro Wrench

It appears the shaft has been already rebuilt with grease-able joints. How long have you had this vehicle? When the front drive shaft is rebuilt with grease-able joints, the joints need to be greased at every oil change. From the amount of movement I saw in the video, I am thinking the joints have probably gone bad from lack of lubrication, and need to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Bad Vibrationssssssss