Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bake Pedal leaks down and pumps up

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bake Pedal leaks down and pumps up

2001 Discovery ll, panic stop will not lock brakes and does not engage ABS. Pedal sinks down and vehicle comes to a stop over an extended distance. The LR dealer changed the brake fluid and then bled the system with the computer technique and returned the vehicle with the same problem. If you pump on the brakes rapidly four or five times and then hit them hard, you can get a decent stop, but still not quite get the ABS to come on. Any help appreciated.
PPRussell

Old 02-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Try a panic stop on some gravel...or snow, ice? May give the ABS a workout..
I know my brakes are firmer on the second pump... posts here stating that is normal so I don't worry about mine

Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Drifting

Same issue with mine, debating if that is a sign of a failing booster or master cyl

Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Take it back to the dealer and have then fix it right the second time, giving you full credit for the job, or replace the master cylinder if you are mechanical enough.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:28 PM
4wd Low

It was suggested to put firm pressure on the brake pedal with the engine off. Then start the engine and see if the pedal sinks to the floor. The answer is yes, it does. So that mean the booster is good? And Mike is likely correct, it is the master cylinder?

Old 02-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Becareful about just changing the brake master cylinder for this problem. First thing was to flush the brake system and activate the abs pump. Make sure all four wheels spin easily and are not binding from sticking calipers. Clamp off the brake lines from the master cylinder too see if the brake pedal still sinks, if still sinks brake master is worn out. If not abs pump may have stuck or worn valve inside of it. Many people have replace brake master cylinders for this problem including me, only to have it be the abs pump. ***Sometimes you have to replace the master cylinder anyway to confirm the abs pump is defective.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM
4wd Low

Took it back to dealer. Spoke with the mechanic who did the work. Turns out he did NOT use the computer procedure to bleed the brakes. Now says he will use his "scanner" and bleed all four wheels individually.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:09 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

How does he tell the ABS then to bleed each wheel? I suppose yes, you could modulate each valve going to each wheel and keep pumping fluid out.
Now, that's how to do it.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 PM
4wd Low

An update, they did the computer bleed, and you can now sort of get the ABS to engage if you really stand on them on pavement and at speeds over about 40MPH but the pedal is soft, not firm. If you put the passenger side wheels on dirt and leave the driver side on pavement and stand on them, the ABS definitely engages well and keeps you going straight.
I have two other large SUV's an older Mercedes and a V-10 Ford Excursion with the severe service brake upgrade in the front. On both of those, you can mash down on pavement and get the ABS typical shuddering and no spongy feel to anything. You get a good, firm pedal in those babies. This is our first Land Rover, maybe some more experienced owners here can tell me if the soft pedal on the Discovery ll is typical or do I need to push the dealer further to resolve it?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

are you still running the 12-years old rubber brake hoses?

Quick Reply: Bake Pedal leaks down and pumps up