Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:27 PM
TReK
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Ball joints

How do I properly check for ball joint play on my 03 disco ? I jacked up the front last week and couldn’t feel any play by trying to move tire up and down but I hear some clunking sometimes and still think one or both are going bad

how do you guys properly Check these ball joints

Old 03-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Using a big pry bar and a helper to turn the steering wheel, failing that hook up a go pro and go for a drive down a rough track to get the joints flexing and see how much they move.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Get it up then use an angled pry bar under the tire to wiggle back and forth. It is not up and down play that you worry about. It's the wiggle. If that makes sense.

The following users liked this post:
Nigelw (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 07:42 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by zuke
Get it up then use an angled pry bar under the tire to wiggle back and forth. It is not up and down play that you worry about. It's the wiggle. If that makes sense.

so side to side ?
It did move side to side by hand but I thought it was just steering play

Old 03-14-2019, 02:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Jack up front of vehicle so wheels are hanging about two inches off the ground, then rest axle housing on jack-stands (this helps eliminate movement of axle housing, while prying with prybar), get a long prybar and someone to either watch ball joint area or pry up for you, place prybar under the tire, then lift upward. You want to watch for independent movement of the ball joint and spindle knuckle, if you are seeing this (ball joint moving upward before whole assembly moves)...ball joint is bad. If the whole assembly moves as one...ball joints are okay. Now, ball joints can become dry inside and cause binding...without showing signs of unusual movement.

Grasping the tire front and back and wiggling would find hub, tie-rod, drag-link or sloppy gearbox issues.

How are the boots on your CV joints, if they are torn...you could have issues there. Bad CV joints will pop while turning if they are bad.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:16 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Jack up front of vehicle so wheels are hanging about two inches off the ground, then rest axle housing on jack-stands (this helps eliminate movement of axle housing, while prying with prybar), get a long prybar and someone to either watch ball joint area or pry up for you, place prybar under the tire, then lift upward. You want to watch for independent movement of the ball joint and spindle knuckle, if you are seeing this (ball joint moving upward before whole assembly moves)...ball joint is bad. If the whole assembly moves as one...ball joints are okay. Now, ball joints can become dry inside and cause binding...without showing signs of unusual movement.

Grasping the tire front and back and wiggling would find hub, tie-rod, drag-link or sloppy gearbox issues.

How are the boots on your CV joints, if they are torn...you could have issues there. Bad CV joints will pop while turning if they are bad.

Brian.

thanks brian I will do they. The boots are ok no noise on turns

Old 03-14-2019, 08:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Worn out sway bar links will make noise too. Mine were clunking when going slow over uneven road.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:20 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by wjsj69
Worn out sway bar links will make noise too. Mine were clunking when going slow over uneven road.

ill check those to It does sound like a clunk almost a side to side clunk

Old 03-14-2019, 03:47 PM
TReK

Yup confirmed it’s my passenger side ball joints
not sure if I should buy the tools to press them in and out or have my local shop do it quoted $350 cash

Old 03-14-2019, 06:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Do it yourself, Casey Gray (Safari Gard) and I did it on his 04' and while it took us a while, and we ended up breaking one of the new ball joints not paying attention, it was pretty easy.

I think we used MOOG ball joints, his 6" lift rides much better now.

Oh, and most places will rent you the tools, its pretty generic.

Quick Reply: Ball joints