Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ballance a front drive shaft??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 02:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ballance a front drive shaft??

How do they balance the front drive shaft and if you know how much it cost? The reason I ask is the parts are coming tomorrow and possible after I tighten the last bolt I have to leave we had a unexpected death in the family!!
FYI: Sorry guys I have this new disco and a 1200 mile trip and no time I did try a quick search but with no luck!

Other info I just picked it up very very clean diso but 120,600 mile I never had a truck with that many so very scared but that front drive shaft scars the heck out of me I had hoped that all four o2 sensors and the u-joint would have been hear yesterday but no luck so last sec job!
Any advice would be helpful thanks!!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Rock Crawling

I had mine rebuilt and put back on truck and drove it for about month and a half, couldn't tell it needed to be balenced if I stayed under 82mph or so. I had a little hum and vibration any speed past 82, thats when I took it back off and had it balenced, if you have a local DL shop they should be able to balence it for you quick, add weights or take weights off is really all, mine cost about 30 bucks.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If a shaft is built correctly, no rebalance is needed.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Mudding

You said you have the parts comming tomorrow, so are you rebuilding yourself? if so, when you remove the driveshaft, mark the position with a white paintpen or liquid paper on the output flange, the flange that comes out of the 3rd member, and on the driveshaft itself. Then mark and take note of the positions of the yokes and the driveshaft when you take it apart. Put it back together in the same relation as it was when you took it apart and it should not need rebalancing. match the marks upon installation.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by nynole
You said you have the parts comming tomorrow, so are you rebuilding yourself? if so, when you remove the driveshaft, mark the position with a white paintpen or liquid paper on the output flange, the flange that comes out of the 3rd member, and on the driveshaft itself. Then mark and take note of the positions of the yokes and the driveshaft when you take it apart. Put it back together in the same relation as it was when you took it apart and it should not need rebalancing. match the marks upon installation.
I am going to do it no money! I get it mike set the universale joints the same depth, and good call on the white out I will do that! Dang its 1:10 and no ups guy yet!!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Well boys I'm back and thanks!!
I rebuilt the front drive shaft and it SUCKED but all was well I just got home from a 2,400 mile tripe in my new to me 2000 disco with a 123,400 miles now YAA! I did the speed limit all the way first time ever in honor of my uncle and still made great time!
I was concerned though, I just picked up my new Disco and I didn't know what oil they just put in it? in Arizona it was 90 deg and I wasn't concerned about that but between the pass of Utah and Idaho it was 20 deg and snowing, but I never heard a nock from the motor and my oil is light brown on paper towel!
Any how thanks guys and sorry I never called you back Mike I had to go and all is well with my disco!!