Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basket case lives Its alive

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basket case lives Its alive

Well lets start out by saying i bought a 2000 disco with 83000 miles on it the owner was going to junk it because it overheats I said it probably needs head gaskets he said he did them (he thinks he is a mechanic) i asked if he sent the heads out to be machined and replaced the head bolts he said he looked at them and they looked good and that is a money grab just like the head bolt bull so i bought it off him for $200 and brought it home....it is all there it has nice tires and brakes and a clean body and interior...i have another 2000 that has 198000 miles on it and it needs a trany i bought a donor vehicle that has a rebuilt trany and a rebuilt center locking transfer case that has a rotted rear frame and took it apart well life got busy and i never started it...so i decided to do the head gaskets over on my new one...i took it apart last year and i gota tell you i broke 6 5/8 sockets taking the head bolts off and 2 of them i ended up using a special socket because the heads rounded off,,,i sent the heads out and they needed to be planed got them back last year and i just put them on and i also needed my old power steering pump. he put a new gasket and siliconed it in and the pump didn't work ... all together dosent overheat has air in power steering fluid will try bleeding it i will also check the suction hose for a pinhole or loose clamp it runs shifted good,stops great ice cold A/C dark Green with a tan interior all windows and locks work Yakima roof rack i think im good

Old 06-21-2017, 09:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Nice score on the $200 disco. Sounds like a winner to me!

Old 06-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Drifting
Default 2 small problems

The first problem I have is coming up the passenger side back of the engine there is two plastic vacuum lines one of them has a loop that dead ends and the other one I have no clue where it goes any help would be great and the second one is when I woke up this morning I went out I checked all my fluids to make sure everything was up power steering was empty and on the ground I believe it's the hose that comes from the canister up to the pump I'll check that and get back to you

Old 06-22-2017, 01:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Two lines on the back of the motor are the tranny and transfer case breather lines

The following users liked this post:
earnies2 (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 06:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Two lines on the back of the motor are the tranny and transfer case breather lines
Thanks i was racking my tiny brain

I see ware the one line makes a u turn and ends ware does the other line rest at

Old 06-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Drifting
Default Update

Originally Posted by earnies2
The first problem I have is coming up the passenger side back of the engine there is two plastic vacuum lines one of them has a loop that dead ends and the other one I have no clue where it goes any help would be great and the second one is when I woke up this morning I went out I checked all my fluids to make sure everything was up power steering was empty and on the ground I believe it's the hose that comes from the canister up to the pump I'll check that and get back to you
I took apart the p/s pump that the old owner said he rebuilt and it didn't work and i had to laugh par for the course...he used about 1/2 of a tube of RTV after getting all that off and taking the pump apart everything looked good the shaft turned but the internal parts didn't upon further investigation i found the key that goes on the shaft to be missing (he must of forgot to reinstall it) I took the rear cover off his pump and resealed it on my pump and no leaks and it primed rite up ran the rover for 45 minutes with the A/C on and the temp gauge was in the middle.....I think it needs a good cleaning, take my 04 headlights and tail lights and winch bumper off the old rover take some parts off it and off to the junk yard at 198 miles it owes me nothing...

Old 09-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Drifting
Default well boil me over BATMAN

I drove the disco twice and on the second trip out for coffee she overheated and there was a lot of pressure in the hoses......so i parked it and was contemplating taking the motor out of my other disco with 198K on it and going through it before putting it in. Then i saw on Craigs list a land rover motor for $100 i called and the owner said he bought it 4 years ago for his wife's disco and never started the project so it sat on the engine stand in the garage he found a rotted fame and junked the disco....I bought the motor and it came with 2 intakes an alternator and $169 worth of new parts from Atlantic British I was in a hurry to get it loaded and beat the traffic ...and when i got back to the shop i noticed it had no power steering pump just an idler pulley ware it would go and the thermostat was different may be this came out of a range rover? how can i tell if it is a 4.0 or 4.6 i will try and post some pix of the 2 throttle bodys,the thermostat and ware the power steering pump should be

Attached Thumbnails Basket case lives  Its alive-20170907_195717.jpg   Basket case lives  Its alive-20170907_200034.jpg   Basket case lives  Its alive-20170907_200344.jpg   Basket case lives  Its alive-20170907_200334.jpg  
Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 PM
Drifting
Default here are more pix

here are mire pix of the engine and motor mounts

Attached Thumbnails Basket case lives  Its alive-20170907_170052.jpg   Basket case lives  Its alive-20170907_170112.jpg   Basket case lives  Its alive-20170907_200540.jpg  
Old 09-07-2017, 10:20 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Bleed that cooling system more better.

The following users liked this post:
earnies2 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 12:24 PM
Drifting

Been there and bleed it 4 times and it keeps overheating and develops pressure in the cooling system when i start it i can see air bubbles in the degas bottle i will find my exhaust gas tester to verify it but i can probably say something is cracked did you look at the pix of the replacement motor ? why is there no power steering pump and the thermostat is different???

Quick Reply: Basket case lives Its alive