Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Died, Now Cranks but No Spark No Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 11:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Died, Now Cranks but No Spark No Fuel

Was camping and battery died on last night, not sure what was left on. After jumping the battery the car would not start , it has not started since.
No Error Codes besides a Front left Wheel speed sensor error that i have been meaning to replace but haven't yet.
The red immobiliser light on the dash is not lit up.
I only have an Autel 619 and a Foxwell 530.
The Inertia switch is OK ( Power is going to main Relay from Inertia switch).
The Crankshaft Position Sensor was changed but it still didnt start. When Looking at a Foxwell 530 i see engine speed (i think it was 150rpm) so i dont think its the CPS.
Have tried the 3 lock , 3 unlock with the all doors closed and that didnt help.
Every Fuse and Relay has been tested and are working fine.
No Spark with a test light , a spark tester and with starting spray into the open Throttle Body.
MAF unplugged and still no Start.
Fuel Pump Relay does not get ground and doesnt close at any point , When pulling the Fuel Pump Relay and jumping the Fuel Pump turns on, there is fuel pressure to the rail when testing the schrader valve, it sprayed gas.
Main Relay is not getting ground and wont close, the relay is working.
The ignition Coil relay under the dash inside is working.
Power is getting to Fuse 14 and the fuse is good.

Seems the ECM is not sending ground to Main Relay, Fuel Pump Relay and Ignition Coils?

I have not gotten to the Coils yet to test them.

I have tried to enter the EKA code but never get the first beep , i still tried to enter it but don't get the last beeps after entering the code and nothing happens .

Seems like this has to be from the battery being completely drained. it was 100% drained. I remember in the past that when the battery drained and was recharged the alarm would go off until the key was put in the ignition.

i did have my ignition replaced with the Atlantic British ignition several years ago after someone tried to break in but i'm pretty sure the battery has drained since then and its been no issue.

The battery does not go below 10V when cranking and i have tried different batteries.

Seems several people have had this same issue but i cannot find any solutions , next i will pull the ECM and check all the connections.

thanks in advance, its late sorry it anything doesn't make sense.

C

Last edited by gnarlos; 10-28-2023 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-27-2023, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Dumb question, but did you try disconnecting the battery, waiting 20 and reconnecting back again?

Old 10-27-2023, 10:52 AM
4wd Low

No Dumb Questions... Yes i have had it disconnected a few times for over an hour and also have connecter the bopth battery leads for an hour when disconnected.

Old 10-27-2023, 11:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

This is out of my league, but it does sound like something with the coils.

The following users liked this post:
gnarlos (10-28-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 11:40 AM
3rd Gear

Experienced the same exact trouble gnarlos, just before a camping trip! The final solution was leaving the battery disconnected for around 10hours. I tried everything you did except I had an error code from my Foxwell, immobilizer code wrong, and at some point the BCM would not stop reporting the passenger door was open. Anyways besides the error code the other things I did before the battery disconnect was- 1. trip and reset the inertia switch (which set off only the lights of the alarm) used door key to stop the alarm. 2. Set super lock with the door key and tripped alarm by trying to open the drivers door from the inside with the window down. At some point I was unable to set super lock as the BCM thought the passenger door was open. 3. Set alarm with key and tripped alarm by opening drivers door with the window down. 4. Used the Foxwell to sync? (not sure of the terminology Foxwell uses) the ECM and BCM. Not sure if this is under Engine, Security, or BCM.
Finally I do not have a key fob but still have factory ignition switch setup. I know they say everything works but the factory does signal the BCM that the key is in.
Just trying to give all the information I have. Not sure if any of the other things made any difference.

Old 10-29-2023, 11:48 PM
4wd Low

thanks @TCbaby
I just locked the door and tripped the alarm with window open pulling inside handle. The ignition key would not stop it i had to use the door key to stop the alarm.
I've already tripped the inertia switch.
I tried to find and Sync function on my Foxwell NT530 and could not find it anywhere , I did see that i have Code 6c Permanent Voltage Supply (was present before) as well as code 94 "Anti-Theft alarm serial link fault" now. This is a new fault.
Tried to start the car and no luck. I disconnected the Battery and also connected the positive and negative terminals and leaving it overnight.

Im thinking more and more that maybe its the aftermarket ignition that i had installed to replace the Original when someone tried to steal it when I lived in Portland. I had a broken foot so wasnt up for installing it and had a shop do it not sure if there are some signals from the original ignition that goto the ECM?

will see what happens tomorrow

thanks

Originally Posted by TCbaby
Experienced the same exact trouble gnarlos, just before a camping trip! The final solution was leaving the battery disconnected for around 10hours. I tried everything you did except I had an error code from my Foxwell, immobilizer code wrong, and at some point the BCM would not stop reporting the passenger door was open. Anyways besides the error code the other things I did before the battery disconnect was- 1. trip and reset the inertia switch (which set off only the lights of the alarm) used door key to stop the alarm. 2. Set super lock with the door key and tripped alarm by trying to open the drivers door from the inside with the window down. At some point I was unable to set super lock as the BCM thought the passenger door was open. 3. Set alarm with key and tripped alarm by opening drivers door with the window down. 4. Used the Foxwell to sync? (not sure of the terminology Foxwell uses) the ECM and BCM. Not sure if this is under Engine, Security, or BCM.
Finally I do not have a key fob but still have factory ignition switch setup. I know they say everything works but the factory does signal the BCM that the key is in.
Just trying to give all the information I have. Not sure if any of the other things made any difference.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:53 AM
4wd Low

Left the battery unplugged for a few days and also shorted + & - . Tried to start and same thing . Turned over for about 30 second and nothing , still no spark and fuel. Nanocom should arrive today and hopefully helps solve this .

Old 11-04-2023, 12:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

No spark and no fuel usually = failed crankshaft position sensor (CKPS).

I see you said it was replaced, but it's possible it was not installed correctly.

Here's a free and easy diagnostic to confirm whether or not the CKPS is working appropriately. Try starting the truck and watch the tachometer. If the tach doesn't move there's a problem with the CKPS. If the tach moves the problem is not the CKPS.

And if it is the CKPS, a Nanocom will be of no help.

Last edited by mln01; 11-04-2023 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2023, 02:09 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

Thanks Min. That’s a good piece of knowledge to keep in my back pocket.

Old 11-04-2023, 02:32 PM
4wd Low

thanks for the tip , I did not look at the tach. I saw a reading on the foxwell so I assumed it was good but I will try looking at the tach. I did put the sensor (Bosch) in , then spacers then nuts but I’ll give this a try later today.

Originally Posted by mln01
No spark and no fuel usually = failed crankshaft position sensor (CKPS).

I see you said it was replaced, but it's possible it was not installed correctly.

Here's a free and easy diagnostic to confirm whether or not the CKPS is working appropriately. Try starting the truck and watch the tachometer. If the tach doesn't move there's a problem with the CKPS. If the tach moves the problem is not the CKPS.

And if it is the CKPS, a Nanocom will be of no help.

Quick Reply: Battery Died, Now Cranks but No Spark No Fuel