Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Issues

I'm always taking advice from this site so I thought I would give back by sharing a little experience I had yesterday. It's not much but hopefully it help someone down the road.

I have a '95 Discovery. Yesterday, while I was driving to church, the battery light illuminated. After church the truck started up fine but the battery light continued to stay on. As I was driving things started to fail. First, it was the tachometer and then the radio speakers wouldn't work. I drove to an Advanced Auto Parts in the hopes that all I needed was a new battery. One of the salesmen checked my battery and my alternator. He said my alternator appeared to be ok, but that my battery didn't seem to be holding a charge. I bought a battery and they installed it for me in the parking lot. Incidentally, if you didn't know, Advanced Auto Parts will test your battery and alternator for free. Anyway, after he installed the new battery the battery light went away, the tachometer and the speakers started working again. I've never had a battery slowly fail like that before. I've always had total failures, meaning that I'd get out of the truck, go into a store and when I came out the truck wouldn't start.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Battery Issues

That's a Rover for you. If it happens again I would look at the alternator, but most likely the battery fixed it for good.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:24 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same think happen to me on an old truck of mine. The slow failure was most likely due to the alternator going out and the battery losing charge.

I'm glad everything turned out ok.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I just bought a new battery for my trk too. I went to Auto Zone, left the truck running, removed the battery, went inside bought a new one and reinstalled it and never had to reset the clock or the stereo.
These trk's are so easy to work on, it is great. Replaced my alt in under 30 min.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Overlanding

Well, it appears replacing the battery mayhave not been the problem. Today, for the first time since I replaced the battery Sunday, I was driving home from work and my battery light came on again. And, the tachometer quit working. What would you guys go for next, alternator? I guess the battery isn't holding a charge. The only thing that puzzles me is that both times Advanced Auto Parts checked my alternator they said it was good.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Team Owner

AutoZone told me that my alt was good too. But then the bearings went out. I know that they cannot test for bad bearings, but for $185 it is replaced and fixed for good. Your battery will not hold a charge if the alt isint putting out.
Check for a bad ground too. But my money is on the alt. The tack runs off the alt in case you didnt know.
If the alt is putting out a small charge a new battery will last longer than a old worn out battery.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Overlanding

I called Advanced Auto Parts and they ordered me a new alternator for $240 ($150 after a $90 core charge). I'll see if that fixes the problem. It's good to know the alternator test they run isn't always "full proof". I'll install the new alternator tomorrow night or Saturday morning. Hopefully, that will fix the problem.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

I just bought a battery charger that will also test your alt and battery. I got it clearanced for $70 at the store. It will also "float" charge.
http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-12000a.html

Old 01-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Overlanding

So, I ordered an alternator from Avanced Auto Parts. It came today and I installed it with a friend of mine. Before we installed the new alternator we measured the voltage across the battery while the truck was running. It only measured 12 volts. After we installed the new alternator the voltage across the battery terminals measured about 13.5 volts. My tachometer started working again and the battery light on the dash is no longer illuminated while I drive around. Hopefully, the problem is fixed.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:45 PM
4wd High

I suggest you also check the battery charge wire (the big fat one) where it connects to the screw terminal on the back of the alternator. My '95 had cooked the insulation which is supposed to be red, but on mine was black. Open up the corrugated plastic harness cover to see. I cut off about half an inch of wire, found a suitable connector at NAPA for $0.69, back in bidness. No charging problems since. Haven't paid to have the SRS light reset, but that's another story.