Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Light came on after obdII check

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Battery Light came on after obdII check

I have a 2000 Disco II. Ive had my truck for about four months now and the SRS light has been on ever since I bought it. Today I was at the local auto repair shop picking up another car and ask the guy if he could do anything about it. So he hooks my Disco to his SNAP-ON OBDII computer and tries and fails. On the way home I noticed the little battery light is now on with the SRS light. Whats going on? The truck was running fine before I got there and running fine now. Ive had this truck for four months and absolutly no problems.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Battery Light came on after obdII check

First a hand scanner won't read or clear the SRS light and many times it comes on because of low voltage.
Clean you battery cable and tighten, then go get your battery/alternator voltage check, volt should be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts, or you have a problem.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Make sure that you have the security code for your stereo before you disconnect the battery.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Rock Crawling

I do not have any codes for this truck. Is this a problem? And if so how do I get these codes?

Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Team Owner

You need to have the Check Engine Light on in order to get trouble codes. No Check Engine Light, no worries about codes.
Your mechanic needs to hook up to the OBDII port to retreive these codes, just like he was trying to do for the SRS light.
The SRS is your air suspension, the light is on because you have a fault code for it. Only someone with the correct scanner can read those codes.
Your battery light coming on means that you have low battery voltage.
Him trying to read the SRS codes and the battery light coming on is just a coincidence.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Rock Crawling

I checked the voltage at the battery. I got 12.7 with it not running and 11.3 after I cranked it. I'm not sure if I did it at the right spot. And also I think it's a little suspicious that it only came on after the guy tried to reset the truck. I'm wonder if there's something to that.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Team Owner

ORIGINAL: kfx4001442

I do not have any codes for this truck. Is this a problem? And if so how do I get these codes?
Sorry, you meant the stereo code, it will be in your owners manual, otherwise you will have to get it (the code) from the dealer.

You only got 11.3 volts with the engine running? That is WAY to low and that is the reason your battery light is on.
And trying to reset the truck will not cause low voltage.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: kfx4001442

I checked the voltage at the battery. I got 12.7 with it not running and 11.3 after I cranked it. I'm not sure if I did it at the right spot. And also I think it's a little suspicious that it only came on after the guy tried to reset the truck. I'm wonder if there's something to that.
So go have the system checked and see if it is the battery or alternator.
The light won't go out once you take of your voltage, still need to go spend the big bucks to have it scanned and cleared.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Rock Crawling

So just checking the voltage at the battery is a good enough reading? It's not soposed to be checked somewhere else? I checked the positive at the positive battery terminal and the negative a little further up on the negative battery cable. Aso I didnt do it very long, would that matter? I'm going to take it by Autozone tommorrow and have it load tested for free. I have to drive it a pretty good distance in the morning I hope it dosn't lay down on me!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Team Owner

You checked it right. Just do it at the battery terminals, no need to go up the cable at all.
And just a couple of seconds is just fine.
And yes, AutoZone can do a better job of telling you the contition of the battery and alternator.

Quick Reply: Battery Light came on after obdII check