Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Light came on after obdII check

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Battery Light came on after obdII check

ORIGINAL: kfx4001442

I do not have any codes for this truck. Is this a problem? And if so how do I get these codes?
Call the dealer with your VIN and ask for the stereo code. YOu will need it if you disconnect the battery. YOu may have to go by and show them the title....

Old 08-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't jump the gun on this one, D2's rarely loose their code when going thru a power loss.
Most likely you won't need it and that being said, when by a dealer sometime have him run your truck for recalls and the code.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there any other codes I should get while I'm there?

Old 08-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Other codes like the stereo code? No.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Rock Crawling

The light just went off today! But came back on when the autozone guy hooked his computer up to the battery.

The guy says that they are both good, but the battery needs a charge. Dosn't it get a charge every time I start the engine?

He said that the reading on the machine has to be at least 75 and my truck pulled 91.

If I let it idle and have everything electrical wide open after a few mins the little battery pops up and if I let it go much longer a whole bunch other lights come on aswell. Then If I turn all that stuff off and rev the engine for a few mins the little battery and all the other lights go away.

What's going on?

Old 08-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The guy at AutoZone is a idiot, you need a new alternator.
Yes the battery gets charged when the engine is running, that is what the alternator does.
Everything on the car runs off the battery and the alternator keeps the battery full.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try checking the voltage of the battery after it has been sitting overnight and see what you get (I assume it had been running recently when you checked it). Then start it up and check the battery voltage again while running. The readings you got make no sense. How old is your battery? Sounds like the alternator though.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Well I hooked the battery charger up to it last night and set it at 2 amps to give it a good deep charge. I'm gonna start driving it again and if the battery light comes on again I'll get some more voltage readings the way you guys want them. I would like to thank all you guys for this help. Although we are not out of the woods yet.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Well just charging the battery like the Autozone guy said didn't fix it. So I let it sit all night without the charger on and this morning I got 12.80 before I cranked it and 12.20 after I cranked it. I guess I'm going to buy an alternator against autozones recomendation unless someone on here seems to think it's not a good idea based on my readings this morning.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:02 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Everything I have read in this thread points to a low output from your alternator. It is not able to keep up with the amount of power being pulled off the battery.

I didn't notice something in reading that is not terribly important but wanted to clarify. Spike stated that SRS is you air suspension. He was thinking of SLS. SRS is your airbag system (supplemental restraint system). The airbags do require a certain voltage to operate properly and if your battery drops below that point it will turn on the SRS warning light.

Quick Reply: Battery Light came on after obdII check