Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Maintainers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 12:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 891 Likes on 643 Posts
Default Battery Maintainers

REDR0VER spends most of its time tucked away in my garage, and gets driven infrequently. Most times I need to charge the battery before I can drive it.

I’m therefore interested in getting an inexpensive battery maintainer. I’d like it to have ring terminals so its leads can be permanently connected to the truck with a plug like the one pictured that I can access through the grille without needing to raise the bonnet and remove the battery box cover.

What advice do any of y’all have on the topic? Brands to avoid? Other tips? Thanks.

Old 12-18-2022, 12:54 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Recent discussion about leads and rings.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-leads-114934/

I'm going to change the Positive terminal to the Stinger hardware that AB is selling. It's under $40, if you buy the parts separately, compared to $105 from AB.

Old 12-18-2022, 06:25 PM
Camel Trophy

Thank you. I have no questions or concerns about making the electrical connections to the truck. When I'm interested in is others feedback about the maintainers themselves.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Battery tender brand has been reliable on my Camaro for 20 years, harborfreight tenders burn out the wall transformers. If parked outside the harbor freight solar chargers are a pretty good deal but they do fail occasionally as well.

The following users liked this post:
Alex_M (12-18-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 10:53 AM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I use both Noco and Battery Tender units. The BTs are older and don't have the features of the mid to upper end Nocos. Like having a "repair" mode or a specific mode for AGM batteries.

Old 12-19-2022, 11:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

I got two of these on Woot for $15/ea a few months ago. I can't give you long term results yet but they come with both quick disconnect clamps and rings terminals and so far have worked just fine. I will say that the cable leads are pretty short and getting the plug to poke through the grill will not happen. Under the lip of the hood, maybe. It is the universal quick disconnect as shown in the first post and I was able to substitute a longer version that I got on another vehicle at some point without issue if that helps.

https://www.blackanddecker12volt.com/bm3b

I have a Noco "jump box' and am very happy with their products. I wouldn't hesitate to use one of theirs.

Edit: When looking at the manual for the B&D charger I noticed that they refer you to a different company for questions/warranty. Looks like Baccus Global makes these kinds of things for Stanley, B&D, DeWalt and Caterpillar, then sells them under the respective name.

Last edited by ahab; 12-19-2022 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 227 Likes on 196 Posts

I really love my Bosch 12V Smart Charger (made in PRC). Solid state 3.5A output. Comes with wiring for permanent connection plug as well as a set of temporary clamps. Was only $36 a few years ago as I recall. Maybe Rock Auto? It includes indicators for level of charge and a mode switch for battery types.

I also own a jump starter LIPO battery $60 from Costco that really puts out and fits in the glove box. USB charged and holds the charge a very long time. A State trouper told me he has used them to start really big rigs.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Battery Tender brands on my Alfa and Miata and have never had any issues. I like to go for the 4.5 amp version to give me a little reserve if I forget to plug it in and need to charge it before using the car.

I have also had a Harbor Freight unit and it worked fine, but I just donated it to a neighbor who doesn't use his truck regularly.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Battery tender brand has been reliable on my Camaro for 20 years, harborfreight tenders burn out the wall transformers. If parked outside the harbor freight solar chargers are a pretty good deal but they do fail occasionally as well.
Interesting. I’ve used the $7 ultra cheapo HF ones for all the vehicles that are put away for the winter: motorcycles, G Wagen, and even the recently sold 36’ Diesel Pusher. I remove all the batteries and just put them in the basement connected up. I check on them periodically too, but I’ve never had an issue with these.

For a vehicle where the battery is left in, I’ve used them as well with good results (did that with the G Wagen the first winter here in CO) and it worked perfectly as well.

However, Battery Tender is definitely a go to brand that won’t break the bank.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:34 PM
Camel Trophy

Thank you for your responses. The Battery Tender brand offers products designated Automotive and Powersports (plus Marine). The lowest amperage unit designated Automotive is rated at 3 amps. The 12V models designated Powersports are rated at 750mA and 800mA. Given my setup, I'd prefer a version where the adapter plugs directly into the wall outlet, which is the case for the two Powersports models but not for the 3 amp Automotive model.

Based on earlier comments, I infer that a 750mA or 800mA model is fine for simply maintaining a fully charged automotive battery. Is that correct?

Quick Reply: Battery Maintainers