Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery post and keyless . . . not working.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery post and keyless . . . not working.

Alright, so before a long road trip recently i bought an optima battery and found that my new battery post is slightly smaller (maybe?) but the connection can't tighten down on it, so there have been a couple occasions where the post lost a good connection and then today the same thing happened and whoops, no more keyless locking or entry.

any ideas? (regarding a new battery connection and where to hunt for problems regarding the keyless?)

Old 03-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put an Optima in my 02. I had to use a screw driver to open the cable connector all the way. Then I held it all the way down while a buddy tightened it down. It fits like it should, you just have to make sure to get the connector all the way open. Good luck, and let me know how it goes for you.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Battery posts are a standard size. Sounds like you both have bad terminals.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

battery posts are tapered. make sure you have the cable pushed down all the way before tightening.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by echomike
whoops, no more keyless locking or entry.

any ideas? (regarding a new battery connection and where to hunt for problems regarding the keyless?)

The keyless entry not functioning is a real concern. I hope that the key was off and removed from the ignition when the battery terminal was being reattached to the post.

Attaching or detaching the terminals with the ignition on can wipe out an ECU.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Three Wheeling

what happened specifically was, that it will start and be fine., and then while running it would detach and next time i got in the lights would be on and everything except when turning the key the power would go, it wouldn't even start to turn, pop the hood turn the terminal and it would be fine.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Three Wheeling

thanks jafir, and interesting point antichrist, since they are both optimas . . . hmmmmm.
thats irritating to think loss of power can wipe an ecu.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I also have a RedTop Optima and my connectors seemed to be stretched out maybe from the previous battery. I found that my Original Optima was not making a good connection on the positive terminal. Developed corrosion half way around the inside of the post and connector. It did not charge the battery properly. I got a new Optima battery under the 3 year full replacement warranty. Added lead caps to the new battery post opened up my terminals with a screw driver, tightened down the connectors added the terminal protector spray and it has been good since last December.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by bosshogt
I also have a RedTop Optima and my connectors seemed to be stretched out maybe from the previous battery. I found that my Original Optima was not making a good connection on the positive terminal. Developed corrosion half way around the inside of the post and connector. It did not charge the battery properly. I got a new Optima battery under the 3 year full replacement warranty. Added lead caps to the new battery post opened up my terminals with a screw driver, tightened down the connectors added the terminal protector spray and it has been good since last December.
Yep, same thing I had to do. My terminals are fine, and if I had to guess I'd say yours are fine too ecomike. Not to contradict antichrist, it just seems that no matter what vehicle I put an Optima in I have to work a little bit to get everything just right. Whatever battery you chose I highly suggest a terminal post protector (I prefer the gel).

Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator Ritt
Whatever battery you chose I highly suggest a terminal post protector (I prefer the gel).
What is that? Different than the lead post caps that you buy for the -/+ terminals? Or are you refering to the dielectric grease?

I added the dielectric grease in between the caps, terminals and sprayed it with the CRC red spay in a yellow can that turns clear when you need to reapply. Also added the felt O-Rings to prevent corrosion from venting gasses. I dont know if I believe all that, but they are 99 cents so who cares.

Quick Reply: Battery post and keyless . . . not working.