Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it the battery or something else

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it the battery or something else

I have a new to me 2001, when I got it I installed a new battery (about 2 months ago), it has been starting just fine, never an issue. Then this morning I tried to start it and it sounded like the battery was dead and I couldn't find anything left on (like lights), it would crank but very slow. I hooked up a portable jumper and it acted the same. I then pulled another car up and hooked up jumper cables, it acted the same, very slow crank. I let it sit for a bit and finally it started. I drove around for about 15 min. turned it off and it restarted just fine. I went out a few hours later and it acts dead again. The terminals looked a little dirty so I disconnected both and cleaned them. I tried jumping it and it acted the same. Finally after several attempts it started. I tested the battery and running its shows 14.3 and shut off the battery is reading 12.8. Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on??
Also not sure if its related but the three amigos are on (they have been on since I got it).
Thanks,

Old 03-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like bad starter. Could also be bad ground wire connection, follow (-) cable from battery and be sure where it attaches to frame is also clean and tight. You can also check wires on the starter. As for battery volts, it may show 14.3 running, which indicates alternator is working. With truck off, and meter on battery, switch on head lights. That 12.8 may dip a little but should not drop to 11 or less (weak cell in battery). Crank truck, and with lights and everything else on, volts should stay above 13.2 (or alternator is not putting out enough amps).

Old 03-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Mudding
Default Yep it's the ground

I just went outside to follow the ground as was recommended and the ground wire is just hanging in the air, not even attached. I guess the small connections just off the battery have been enough for it to start the last little while but the main ground has not even been attached. I'm going to change my cloths and climb under the rover to reconnect the ground. Does it connect to the frame?
Thanks so much.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Mudding
Default Where does the ground attach??

I climbed under the rover and the ground wire is not attached to anything. I figured I would see where it should attach but I'm not seeing anything. So where does the main ground wire attach??
Thanks,

Old 03-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Take a look inside the under hood fuse box at the ground points in the front. See attached pix.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 fuse box.pdf (401.2 KB, 187 views)
Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Mudding
Default Weird deal

I couldn't see anywhere on the frame that looked like the ground had been attached, no marks or anything. The wire looks stock and because of length could only fit in so many places. I got a new bolt that fits through the frame (there is a hole that goes all the way through the frame) I sanded the paint off to make sure of a good ground, put it all together and is acts the exact same. Its too dark now to mess with, but tomorrow I'll check the connections pointed out in the above reply (thank you so much) and also check the connections to the starter. I'll report my findings and if there are any other recommendations please let me know.
Thanks again.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2001 also and I just looked under the hood.

I have a heavy gauge ground wire that connects by the alternator....
Is it the battery or something else-100_2037.jpg

And there also seems to be a smaller (not as heavy gauge) ground wire that bolts on the front of the pass. side shock tower. It bolts way down on the base of the tower on the front side....
Is it the battery or something else-100_2039.jpg

Old 03-30-2012, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

All vehicles share these sort of electrical things. The alternator case has to maintain a metal to metal ground connection, via mount bolts or ground strap. The battery has to be "earthed" to the frame somewhere. And the engine block has to be bonded to the frame because the engine mounts may not provide electrical continuity. When bonding straps are loose or off, all sorts of gremlins are awakened. They include strange starter performance, because it draws about 300 amps, radio and electronics can be cooked by high voltage well above 15 volts, lights can act wierd, and the ebrake handle can get really hot because it is carrying all the amps back that should be going thru this cable.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Mudding
Default I think that did it

It looks like that was the issue. I got it hooked up and it has started great several times. Thanks to all that replied, you saved me a day of frustration and throwing tools.