Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery suggestions

Hey Lad's,
I went out to the garage last evening to get the Rover ready for spring(I store it over the winter to avoid the devestating Canadian salt),and when I put the key in the ignition....nothing...not even a clock.I usually trickle charge the battery over the winter months,but for some reason Ididn't botherthis year. Anyway,the battery is a two year old Interstate Megatron which I expected to at least have a little life after a four month cold storage stint.I took the battery out and set the charger to a slow 2amp charge hoping it will breath life back into it over the next couple of days.In the meantime I went to visit the local Total Battery Shop and inquired as to what the best battery bar none would be for a Land Rover Discovery.The guy went to the back and returned with an Odyessy PC1500 and said "We sell these batteries to the Canadian Military,RCMP,and Fire Dept.,your Land Rover should have come with this battery as standard equipment.It has a 12 year service life.You buy this and you will forget about conventional batteries".He gave me a pretty impressivebrochure to read and a $300 price quote.Anyone had any experience with this battery?Is it as impressive as the guy claims?

Old 03-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery suggestions

You're getting ripped off with a $300 price tag for the PC1500. Check out https://www.expeditionexchange.com/odyssey/ for their prices. The PC2150 is the end all of Disco batteries for sure (Disco II that is). Their website also features some more info on why you should definitely go with the odyssey.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-24-2007, 02:23 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price was in Canadian dollars,thats why it seems high I suppose.Will the 2150 fit in the Disco's battery box? because I looked at that weapon and figured it was a little long.Will the factory leads reach the centre mounted posts on the 2150?

Old 03-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

A problem you get into is letting it sit, hooked up to the truck and being allowed to discharge over the winter.
Next year, unhook the battery. I run Yellow top batterys in my truck, they are designed to be discharged totally and then be recharged with no effect. They are one of the better deep cycle batterys out there and I would suggest you look into them. You can find them on-line in the $170 US range for the model 38-75.
Mike

Old 03-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Three Wheeling

If it is a Disco II there is some fabrication to be done to get double batteries into the truck; not exactly plug and play like the 2150 which is also an extremely well made deep cycle battery with more impressive features than a (single) yellow top. But, of course, no single battery can have more benefits than a double set-up.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Three Wheeling

My disco had a Interstate Megatron in it when I got it. It started to leak i replaced it with a Optima Red Top. I don't do any offroading though.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

The Red Top is a good general battery, but it is not a deep cycle battery and will not take the winter discharges well.
For anyone looking for dual batterys for their D2, send me your e-mail address and I will send you a couple pictures of what i built for my truck, using the same space as the factory battery box.
Mike