Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battling Rust

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 11:34 AM
Mudding
Received 73 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Battling Rust

My 2000 Disco II is almost rust free. No frame rust, no structural rust except the right rear door jam.

About 2 years ago, I found a small bubble of rust in that area. I thought (error on my part) that it was a scratch in the paint where the grand kids had not kept the seat belt inside the car and slammed it on the metal buckle that was caught in the door. It has happened on the other side.

So I sanded down the spot, having obtained the correct paint from https://www.automotivetouchup.com/, and just my luck, but a small, rust through hole appeared, not a scratch. So since I was already this far, I used a chemical rust converter, followed all the instructions, and finished the spot. Looked great, but I knew from past vehicles, it would only be a matter of time before it reappeared.

I am going to do it right this time, as I have the services of probably one of the finest welders in the area (state, country?), my brother. He owns a metal fabrication company in the Indianapolis area and is a master welder as well as a mechanical engineer.

What I'm looking for is a patch panel. Perhaps an after market, but really would like to buy the section from a forum members who has a rust free shell that they would be willing to cut out the RR door frame below the door latch. I've posted the picture to show the rusted area, The actual rust spot is about now the size of a quarter. The rust has spread under the paint causing it to look larger than it is. As you can also see from the photo, the body putty used to feather in the spot has cracked, probably from the rust returning but also possibly from the force of the door slamming as well. Since I'm in Indiana, the chance of finding a Disco in a wreckers yard that would be rust free is very slight, so I'm putting a request out there to see what might be available.

Any ideas or interest out there in the forum?

Thanks!