Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed liner spray for plastic bits

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bed liner spray for plastic bits

Anybody ever use the diy bed liner sprays to coat your plastic parts? My wheel flares and other random black plastic body parts look ate up from the sun so I thought about black bed liner. Any thoughts?

Old 05-20-2018, 03:00 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I have used bumper paint and rustoleum spray Bedliner on my fender flares, the Bedliner is by far superior. When you do it, add a couple of coats of UV Resistant Clear as well.

Also, use automotive tape, and paper to cover the body. I used Newspaper, and blue tape and got overspray.

The following users liked this post:
Chemcorp158 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 03:09 PM
Drifting

Cool, I will have to try it now. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:26 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

I've used Duplicolor Bedliner TR250 many times on both plastic and metal and it works great. The key, as with any paint job..... PREP! And in this case it's real easy. > https://duplicolor.com/assets/docume...ation-tips.pdf

What is important, as CollieRover said, use some UV Clear or Black paint because this stuff WILL turn gray in the sun.
Also TR250 stinks like crap until it cures so spray it outside and wear a mask.

You can get TR250 Aerosol at any Auto Parts store, and it looks like this...
> https://duplicolor.com/product/truck-bed-coating

Chemcorp158 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Thanks, I might do my headliner as well. At least that won't sag.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:25 PM

I haven’t used duplicolor Bedliner, but their engine paint is excellent so if that is a guide I am sure it’s a great product.

Chemcorp158 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 08:20 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I have used the spray and was not happy with the excessive texture that I got. I was planning on trying to brush or roll on the next time around.

The texture snags towels when you are cleaning and picks up lint, at least in my case.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by abran
I have used the spray and was not happy with the excessive texture that I got. I was planning on trying to brush or roll on the next time around.

The texture snags towels when you are cleaning and picks up lint, at least in my case.
The nozzles also clog. Rolling on is probably the best option.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll add my experience here as well..

I used Rustoleum bedliner in a can, the cheapest I could find. I prepped the area with newspaper and wide blue painters tape, and went over the area with 120, then 240 grit sandpaper. I sprayed the bedliner in quick bursts and ended up with 4 coats each flare, 3 cans used. I took off the tape and paper after it dried, and did end up with some overspray. The major overspray was in the passenger rear wheel arch, between the panel gaps. I forgot to add tape there. It came off with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber towel, and because it left a few swirl marks to make only that area hazy, I grabbed some ScratchX and polished it through. Any other little overspray came off easily with a clay detail bar and some quick detailer spray.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by User
I'll add my experience here as well..

I used Rustoleum bedliner in a can, the cheapest I could find. I prepped the area with newspaper and wide blue painters tape, and went over the area with 120, then 240 grit sandpaper. I sprayed the bedliner in quick bursts and ended up with 4 coats each flare, 3 cans used. I took off the tape and paper after it dried, and did end up with some overspray. The major overspray was in the passenger rear wheel arch, between the panel gaps. I forgot to add tape there. It came off with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber towel, and because it left a few swirl marks to make only that area hazy, I grabbed some ScratchX and polished it through. Any other little overspray came off easily with a clay detail bar and some quick detailer spray.
I did the exact same thing. I am on green tape and the real paper from here on out.

Quick Reply: Bed liner spray for plastic bits