Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before I narrow down on a D2..

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:16 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I narrow down on a D2..

Hey guys long time lurker here and current 99' Cherokee XJ owner (I know, blasphemy to say that here, but selling it to replace with an 04' D2 very soon).

What I wanted to know if you guys could help with these questions:

1) I want to get a 2004 without the SAI; what do I look for in the engine to know that the SAI system is not present (what does it look like to avoid it)?

2) Any recommendations on extended warranties from places (W4W, etc)?

I have found two 04's for $8900 each so far and looking to narrow down.

Now to sell the Cherokee.

Thanks for the help!

-Luis

Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u have the 4.0 i6 motor, please for the love of god dont get a disco

why so particular about non sai? under the hood it is a black quasi circular piece about the size of a kid size basketball, on the pass side rear of the engine bay mounted to the firewall... has a hose going from it that connects to a metal pipe that splits and goes to each side of the motor, connecting to two turret looking valves that sit ontop of pipes that go into the exhuast on each side. easy to id it on a cold star, pop the hood and start it up, it will sound like a hair drier on high, and if the bolts are broken on it, it will sound like a turbine jet engine hahaha

all it does is blow air into the exhuast stream for the first 10-20 seconds while the engine is cold to help heat up the o2 sensors faster so you get better emissions and fuel burn data to the computer... once its done its done, it serves no function to hinder the performance of the motor in any way.

extended warranties usually dont cover anything that will happen to these trucks. they require ALOT of tlc preventative care, parts are expensive but the work is usually easy if you are handy. they eat gas, oil, coolant, you name it, and insurance is usually higher because they are very heavy and tend to kill the people in the car you hit hahaha more then the average car.

for $8900 i wouldnt go for it, thats high. in all honesty unless there is something very particular you like about that model year, id go for a 1998-2000, throw in a grand or so to do a total overhaul, and have enough to do it ALL again when it blows up on you over the cost of a newer model thats going to do the same thing on ya.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm not sure you are going to find a 2003 or 2004 without SAI. I'm not even sure they made them for North America.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

all 03 and 04's have SAI.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
if u have the 4.0 i6 motor, please for the love of god dont get a disco

why so particular about non sai? under the hood it is a black quasi circular piece about the size of a kid size basketball, on the pass side rear of the engine bay mounted to the firewall... has a hose going from it that connects to a metal pipe that splits and goes to each side of the motor, connecting to two turret looking valves that sit ontop of pipes that go into the exhuast on each side. easy to id it on a cold star, pop the hood and start it up, it will sound like a hair drier on high, and if the bolts are broken on it, it will sound like a turbine jet engine hahaha

all it does is blow air into the exhuast stream for the first 10-20 seconds while the engine is cold to help heat up the o2 sensors faster so you get better emissions and fuel burn data to the computer... once its done its done, it serves no function to hinder the performance of the motor in any way.

extended warranties usually dont cover anything that will happen to these trucks. they require ALOT of tlc preventative care, parts are expensive but the work is usually easy if you are handy. they eat gas, oil, coolant, you name it, and insurance is usually higher because they are very heavy and tend to kill the people in the car you hit hahaha more then the average car.

for $8900 i wouldnt go for it, thats high. in all honesty unless there is something very particular you like about that model year, id go for a 1998-2000, throw in a grand or so to do a total overhaul, and have enough to do it ALL again when it blows up on you over the cost of a newer model thats going to do the same thing on ya.
Yes it has the 4.0 I6.

Honestly I want to get the 2004 because of the updated front end, 4.6, and CDL. I can find an early D2 for less of course, but there is something about the 03/04 front end that I like way more.

Originally Posted by jafir
I'm not sure you are going to find a 2003 or 2004 without SAI. I'm not even sure they made them for North America.
Originally Posted by Disco Mike
all 03 and 04's have SAI.
Oh ok didn't know that they all had SAI. Thanks!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Drifting

Having just been in your position (sold my modified '98 XJ), make sure you find the right one. I too wanted the updated front-end. I got an '03 with a VIN in the death range. I knew it going in, so I paid a more than fair price with an engine replacement a possibility. It came with an ARB bull bar, Warn XD9000, and OME springs.

You will love it. I was nervous for the first couple weeks, but it is as easy to work on as the Jeep. All maintenance items are easy to find locally. I've already become comfortable with the online places for "rover-specific" items. Love the way it drives and the power is about the same as my old cherokee. You'll be shocked at how much quieter it is on the highway.

Good luck on your search. Also, I don't think $8,900 is too much if it is great condition. I think it depends a lot on the area of the country. Here in the upper-midwest, Land Rovers are not as common as other parts of the country.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I see 04's with under 60k going for $10k-$15K all the time around here in the SE PA/ NJ area. It just depends on where you are and what has or has not been done to it so far (if you can document that info).

Old 07-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I, too, love the 03/04 front ends...

If I had 9k-10k and was shopping for a Rover here's what I'd do: (all my own opinion, do whatever you'd like!)

I'd find an '04 (since CDL matters to me) with a blown motor, slipped sleeve, oil pump gone, etc in very good shape cosmetically inside and out for around $2k but depending on condition up to $3kish. Then I'd get a new Turner Engineering motor shipped over and pay someone to install it (should be able to get the motor w/ install for around $5kish). That way, i've got a great looking, clean D2 with a new motor that's addressed the known Rover issues (sleeves, head gaskets, etc), for around the same it costs to buy a "no current problems" one that you don't really know about both presently and what's been done to it.

FYI - you can always add CDL linkage to a 99-01 AND convert to the 03/04 headlights too. I've got plans to do both to my '99.

Last edited by DiscoIIBrandon; 07-18-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by zukilj20
Having just been in your position (sold my modified '98 XJ), make sure you find the right one. I too wanted the updated front-end. I got an '03 with a VIN in the death range. I knew it going in, so I paid a more than fair price with an engine replacement a possibility. It came with an ARB bull bar, Warn XD9000, and OME springs.

You will love it. I was nervous for the first couple weeks, but it is as easy to work on as the Jeep. All maintenance items are easy to find locally. I've already become comfortable with the online places for "rover-specific" items. Love the way it drives and the power is about the same as my old cherokee. You'll be shocked at how much quieter it is on the highway.

Good luck on your search. Also, I don't think $8,900 is too much if it is great condition. I think it depends a lot on the area of the country. Here in the upper-midwest, Land Rovers are not as common as other parts of the country.
This makes me want one even more!

These are the two I have seen (not in person yet):

Pinnacle Motorcars - 2004 Land Rover Discovery S - Royal Palm Beach, Florida

2004 Land Rover Discovery S $8,900 - AmeriFirst Auto Center Hialeah Gardens Florida 33016

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
If I had 9k-10k and was shopping for a Rover here's what I'd do: (all my own opinion, do whatever you'd like!)

I'd find an '04 (since CDL matters to me) with a blown motor, slipped sleeve, oil pump gone, etc in very good shape cosmetically inside and out for around $2k but depending on condition up to $3kish. Then I'd get a new Turner Engineering motor shipped over and pay someone to install it (should be able to get the motor w/ install for around $5kish). That way, i've got a great looking, clean D2 with a new motor that's addressed the known Rover issues (sleeves, head gaskets, etc), for around the same it costs to buy a "no current problems" one that you don't really know about both presently and what's been done to it.

FYI - you can always add CDL linkage to a 99-01 AND convert to the 03/04 headlights too. I've got plans to do both to my '99.
That'd be a great idea actually but the only 04's can find for that price range are crashed horribly in an auction place somewhere.

So this turner engine fixes all those issues in the original 4.6?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:16 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

went from a 06 rubicon to my 04 DII in nov. 08. i prefer the disco,,,if that says something

Quick Reply: Before I narrow down on a D2..