Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt squeel

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt squeel

Hi guys

Please help. Just 5000km ago i replaced the serpentine and aircon belts on my 1997, 300tdi, disco 1. Its squeeling again on start up. After 1 minute its quite. What can be the problem. Is it a pirate belt, or isthere something wrong that causes this.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Suveer

Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Belt squeel

Belt tensioner or an idler puley.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 AM
4wd High

Kind of a highjack:

Disco Mike- I test drove a 2001 Disco II with 66,000 milesthe other day that was really clean in/out and didnt have the usual "oil coating" on the underside of the engine/transmission as most of the ones I find have...but....the one thing it did have was a loud roar/drone from the front of the engine. The dealer said he thought it needed a belt (not a LR dealer, btw). That is what it sounded like though...the belt area seemed loud.

Does that sound like maybe a pump is going bad...or something like that?I like the truck..and Id replace the belts anyway...but I didnt know what that sound was and if it was something I should stay away from...

thanks for any advice!

chris m

Old 02-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Three Wheeling

had same problem, same as above. Belt tensioner and/or pulley. Change them both with belt. If problem is still present take a look at the alternator.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I've been hearing a noise similar to that too. A month ago it wasn't too bad, but now it seems every time I start the engine it squeals for about a minute. While still in "P" and I press the gas pedal, the squeal increases with pedal pressure. I think it started after I got my engine gaskets replaced. Is it possible the tensioner was tightend too much when everything was put back together? All my belts are in good condition and don't want to replace them if i don't need to.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You can't over tighten the tensioner, either it is a bad bely, idler or tensioner.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

When I bought my 98 Disco, the serpentine belt was routed incorrectly. There was plenty of belt tension on it, but slightly less than the correct routing.Consequently, the improper routing didn't wrap around thealternator pulley as much as the correct routing would, but overall worked fine. It had probably been like that for a year or two, or longer who knows. The problem was when ya would use power-hungry accessories like the blower motor or power seats. Thenthe alternator would slip and not charge. It would likely cause a squealing sound if the belt would have been less worn.

On my vehicle there wasn't a belt routing diagram, so I could see how this could happen. Also, no diagram in the owners manual. The previous owner spent a lot of time trying to figure out a charing issue and never could (me as well). FinallyI got a new belt andfiguredout it was routed incorrectly. The new routing put more tension on the belt and more surface area on the alternator pulley. Problem solved! Soooooo, wouldn't hurt to check your belt routing. There are some diagramson the roverparts.com website.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Drifting

Thanks guys for all the comments. But one question , would it still be the tensioner or pulley cos, when i pour some water on the belt, the squeel stops. How the the belst start squeel so soon. It is almost new.

Regards
Suveer

Old 02-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the reason the squealing stops when you put water is because the water lubricates creating a barrier between the two surfaces causing the squealing. I would check the idler and tensioner pulleys if you have already changed the belt. check the belt tension too. a bad A/C compressor can cause the same thing because it can begin to seize and actually cause the belt to slip, but that is rare. start with the obvious and work from there.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

It's simple, you've got slippage either at the alternator, power steering pump, or a/c compressor (in that order). It's very unlikely to be a result of an idler pulley unless the bearing has seized (and you'd KNOW that). The reason it squeals at start-up and goes away is because the belt heats up enough to get traction on the slipping pulley.You should be able to identify squealing really easily by listening to where the sound is coming from. I'll put my money on the alternator because this time of year people use their blower motor, heated seats and defrost, all of which put a lot of load on the alternator. It's possible the belttensioner could be bad, but you can easily check the belt tension by pulling up/down on the belt. You should only be able to move it a little bit but not much more than 1/2". The tensioner should be really tight (hard toget it back enough to get the belt off).Try taking the belt off, The tensioner should be damn hard to squeeze (push) back to get the belt off. If not, consider replacing.

Also, take a look at the alternator pulley. Ifthe groovedareas are really smooth, that's your slippage indicator. If this is the case, the beltmay slip no matter how new or tight or new your belt.The fix is to remove the pulley and have it glass beaded at a machine shop (should be cheap), or replace.This will increase friction and prevent slippage.Sameholds true for the power steering, although P/S generally doesn't produce much drag and usually don't slip. I will say again, make sure the belt is routed properly. I went throught at already. Mine slipped upon start-up just like yours did.

Quick Reply: Belt squeel