Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt tension question 97 d1

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Belt tension question 97 d1

Belt squeals a few minutes after warm up, I put a new belt on, does the same thing, squeals like mad right near the water pump... I spray belt dressing on and it stops the squeal, but only for a few minutes... I'm thinking the belt is on there way too tight... How do you adjust the tension? I figure if the problem was a bearing the squeak would not change with a little dressing on the belt, so I'm not sure.[/align]

TIA

Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Belt tension question 97 d1

There is no way to adjust the tension, its spring loaded.
Make sure that you have the belt run the right way.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:17 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/s..._defender.cfm.

It did not work right just go to "Tect Tips" and then Disco's.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Replace the belt tensioner.
Never spray belt dressing on your belt, it forms a glaze that will always come back to haunt you.
Now with the dressing on the pulleys, you will have th clean them with brake or carb cleaner and toss on a new belt if you want this noise to go away.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Mudding

Mike, what I don't understand is the second you spray dressing on the belt, the noise originating from the pulley on the water pump vanishes right away... So what does the tensioner have to do with it? Not enough tension, too little? What a pain in the butt... Also I used an autozone brand belt, think that could be the issue? Perhaps I should just buy this direct from land rover

Old 03-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Mine did/does the same thing. It is the bearings in the waterpump going bad.
I sprayed some penatrant/lube behind the waterpump pully and let it soak into the waterpump bearings overnight and it has helped. Only squeals once in awhile now.
When you replace the waterpump make sure that you replace the fan clutch too.
I think that spraying the belt dressing on the belt and the noise goes away is a coincidence.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Belt dressing make make it go away for a bit, you have heard of a bandaid fix, that is what you are doing.
How many miles on your engine?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Mine did/does the same thing. It is the bearings in the waterpump going bad.
I sprayed some penatrant/lube behind the waterpump pully and let it soak into the waterpump bearings overnight and it has helped. Only squeals once in awhile now.
When you replace the waterpump make sure that you replace the fan clutch too.
I think that spraying the belt dressing on the belt and the noise goes away is a coincidence.
At first I thought that could be the issue, but since I hit the belt with dressing and the noise went away, I figured it was just the belt tension or something... I'll examine it more closely tonight, thanks.

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Belt dressing make make it go away for a bit, you have heard of a bandaid fix, that is what you are doing.
How many miles on your engine?
Yeah I know its a bandaid, but the origin of the noise doesn't make much sense to me, so I'm somewhat lost as to what course of action needs to be taken... The tensioner seems fine, the belt seems tight, I cleaned all the dressing off the pulleys, put a new belt on again, it was fine for perhaps 1/2 hour, then it started screeching again...

What confuses me is if you so much as put a dab of belt dressing on the belt the noise goes away, which makes it difficult to tell where the failed part is.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

First, if you don't have a way to measure the tension on the bely, you don't know if it is fine.
How many miles on the engine and tensioner?
Do you have the a/c on when the belt starts to squeal, if not turn it on ands see if the belt starts to squeal even eariler.
Have you inspected each pulley/bearing set?
I still think it is the typical Rover belt squeal that we all have seen, weak trensioner.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Mudding

I assumed the tensioner was fine based on how tight the belt was on there, but truth be told, I really have no idea. Disco has 150 on it, I'm going to inspect all the pulleys later today, I'll look for a new tensioner tomorrow. It looks a little beat, worst case it doesn't fix the issue and I keep adding parts that should be replaced anyway.

Quick Reply: Belt tension question 97 d1