Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best aftermarket radio for an '03 Disco II?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best aftermarket radio for an '03 Disco II?

I went to best buy today to hopefully get my sirius radio installed...they said since the stock radio doesnt have a casette tape or an aux button, or a cd changer there would be no way to have my sat radio set up through an aux source it would have to be transmitted over an FM station with a fm modulator. I LOVE my sat radio so this is not an option...so now the search is on for me to find an aftermarket radio that fits best with the Disco II...any suggestions? I am willing to spend up to $500 on a radio. THANKS!

Old 10-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

What model Disco do you have? Don't you have a aux. button, you should.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

THIS IS WHAT I DID :
If you go to http://www.tss-radio.com/products/land-rover-kenwood-sirius-tuner-package they sell a package that allows you to use your stock stereo to receive Sirius radio.
The package comes with a Kenwood Sirius receiver, antenna, cable and Pie interface adaptor, the best part is you don’t even have to remove you stock stereo to hook it up.
Plug one end of their cable into the Kenwood receiver, connect the Pie interface adaptor to the other end, and now plug the interface cable into the 10-pin connector under the passenger seat for the CD player (no power necessary). Throw the antenna on the roof and call Sirius to activate (or you can activate on line).
The Sirius programing will show on your stock stereo, you can use the stock steeringwheelcontrols for volume and channel changes. Oh and it you want to keep your CD or add an I-pod there is a slave port on the receiver that you can hook you CD back up too. The Kenwood receiver also has a two female RCA jacks. The Pie interface cable and comes with a second cable that has two male RCA connector and a male 3.5 mm ?? Plug; which I assume plugs into an mp3 player.
So you don’t need and aftermarket stereo that just doesn’t look right or has the wrong colored lights, no special adaptors to get your steering wheel controls to interface and other than the antenna you can’t tell it’s there. I left mine under the passenger seat were the CD player would be, but the cable is about 8 feet long so you could put it just about any were in the truck that you wanted.
Now it does not give you all the functions of a new Sirius stereo, like logging artists, playback & repeat. It probably does more but I would have to read the direction and you know that any going to happen.
What is does do is allow you to have satelliteradio using all the stock Harmon Kardon equipment and you can be up and running in 5 minute or less.
Best of all it only costs $119.99 OR $89.99 If you’re a new subscriber, I feel like I got ripped off I have a life time subscription and some one new can buy the equipment cheaper than me. Oh well; at least I get my satellite radio & up to date traffic reports back, terrestrial radio sucks.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Mudding

I went with an aftermarket alpine head unit, and a PAC steering wheel control adapter. My 04 S came stock with a single cd head unit, so none of the other options were viable.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Mudding

I have the 03 with cassette player and no AUX button. Am going to replace it with an aftermarket unit.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:53 PM
4wd Low

Well mine is an '03 HSE7 model i recently purchased it but I assumed that since it was an HSE7 it would have the cd changer or maybe an aux button but all it came with was a single cd unit. Let me show you guys what I just ordered...Clarion NZ501 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

I purchased the built in sat radio hookup, the hd radio receiver hookup, ipod audio hookup, & the steering wheel control adapter so I wont lose function of my steering wheel control. It all cost a pretty penny, but it's all going to be worth it....the unit also has built in navigation! I will post pictures after install. I should be getting my package on tuesday crutchfield told me and will hopefully have best buy install it later next week.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:54 PM
4wd Low

it also has built in bluetooth for hands free calling and plays dvd's

Old 10-11-2011, 11:53 PM
4wd Low

A couple weeks ago I installed a Kenwood KIV-701 purchased from Crutchfield... I also installed the PAC unit to keep my steering wheel controls... The Crutchfield kit included an easy to use wiring harness which allowed me to keep my Harman Kardan amp and a trim package to hide the small gap at the bottom of the install... It looks great and this head unit has a lot of versatility (iPod, Sat, USB, video)... The PAC unit took me the longest to install but once I figured it out it went smoothly as well...

Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by riddings
A couple weeks ago I installed a Kenwood KIV-701 purchased from Crutchfield... I also installed the PAC unit to keep my steering wheel controls... The Crutchfield kit included an easy to use wiring harness which allowed me to keep my Harman Kardan amp and a trim package to hide the small gap at the bottom of the install... It looks great and this head unit has a lot of versatility (iPod, Sat, USB, video)... The PAC unit took me the longest to install but once I figured it out it went smoothly as well...
Do you have the factory 6 disk changer also? if so does that deck work with it? i would like to keep mine if i can.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go to a real car audio place,,,

here is my 04 with a sirius installed.

Name:  roverstereo2a.jpg
Views: 4954
Size:  49.0 KB

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket radio for an '03 Disco II?