Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best coolant for rover V8

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

BMW Blue Zerex G48
Designed specifically for the plastic/alumumium filled cooling systems. And very non corrosive unlike Dexkill. Really, google Dexkill and see the first video that pops up. Nasty stuff.

My 02 went to 200k miles on the original head gaskets using BMW blue

My BMW dealer only charges $22 for a gallon of coolant, it's full strength. So for 50/50 that Rover recommends, $1 for distilled water. That's $11.50 per gallon of coolant, pretty cost effective stuff too!

Old 09-26-2021, 03:09 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by suntreemcanic
There are nice block drains on both heads, near the back of the head on the drivers side and near the front of the head on the passenger side. Using the drains you get the sediment out of the engine block. Then you just have the water that can't drain out of the bottom of the radiator.
Are they obvious? I was looking on the sides of the heads and didn't see anything that resembled a block drain

Old 09-26-2021, 04:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Valvoline’s Zerex G-05 coolant for my V8.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by thebilgerat
Are they obvious? I was looking on the sides of the heads and didn't see anything that resembled a block drain
the heads attach to the block.

the block drains will be on the underside of the engine block.

find the post by waltNYC further up. he has links to the RAVE manuals in his signature. download that. it will have lots of good info.

The following users liked this post:
thebilgerat (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021, 07:26 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jastutte
the heads attach to the block.

the block drains will be on the underside of the engine block.

find the post by waltNYC further up. he has links to the RAVE manuals in his signature. download that. it will have lots of good info.
Thanks! I've been looking for a copy of RAVE that actually works. I had downloaded some version that required an ancient adobe reader to function but couldn't get it to work.

I ended up taking heater hoses off, putting one end back on then blowing compressed air through it. Its a good thing I did as I found that the rubber spacer that is integral to the heater hose had begun to pull away from one of them. Another thing to order, but glad I caught it before it split.

I also ended up going with "orange" coolant as my son had bought a bunch for his 81 Volvo not knowing it was full of green. I know that my coolant system doesn't leak or get overpressurized so I'm not stressed by it. Also I flushed the bejeesus out of the system - ran a good 9 gallons of distilled through along with a bottle of cleaner. rinsed that good twice, then added 50/50 premix. Without blowing through the heater core I could only add a gallon back to the system. After the air treatment I got 2+ a smidge in.

This coolant won't be in there for a super long time - I have a large trip scheduled in November and on its completion I'll drain it again and put fresh in.

As an aside - that inline tstat was the best call ever. My average temps are now 177 on the bottom and 186 at the top. Typically hovers around 182

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 12:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by thebilgerat
Thanks! I've been looking for a copy of RAVE that actually works. I had downloaded some version that required an ancient adobe reader to function but couldn't get it to work.

I ended up taking heater hoses off, putting one end back on then blowing compressed air through it. Its a good thing I did as I found that the rubber spacer that is integral to the heater hose had begun to pull away from one of them. Another thing to order, but glad I caught it before it split.

I also ended up going with "orange" coolant as my son had bought a bunch for his 81 Volvo not knowing it was full of green. I know that my coolant system doesn't leak or get overpressurized so I'm not stressed by it. Also I flushed the bejeesus out of the system - ran a good 9 gallons of distilled through along with a bottle of cleaner. rinsed that good twice, then added 50/50 premix. Without blowing through the heater core I could only add a gallon back to the system. After the air treatment I got 2+ a smidge in.

This coolant won't be in there for a super long time - I have a large trip scheduled in November and on its completion I'll drain it again and put fresh in.

As an aside - that inline tstat was the best call ever. My average temps are now 177 on the bottom and 186 at the top. Typically hovers around 182
”Orange” coolant is the cause of the disasters we’ve all collectively spent thousands on trying to remedy.

Blue or green. These are the only options.

Old 09-27-2021, 01:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Not sure if I am correct but I think the Dexcool sold today is not the problematic Dexcool of the 90's GM cars. Same name different formulation. Thought I read they reformulated it years ago it and took out the bad stuff. I could be incorrect. I am still using orange Dexcool "compatible" type coolant.

Old 09-27-2021, 01:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by dswilly
Not sure if I am correct but I think the Dexcool sold today is not the problematic Dexcool of the 90's GM cars. Same name different formulation. Thought I read they reformulated it years ago it and took out the bad stuff. I could be incorrect. I am still using orange Dexcool "compatible" type coolant.
I mean, even the smallest degree of uncertainty puts it in the forbidden category of high-risk, low-reward. There are just known better alternatives, why chance it?

Old 09-27-2021, 08:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 65 Posts

I’ve read a lot about Dexcool, basically change it out every now and then and fix leaks when you spot them and it shouldn’t cause any issues.

It also seems like a lot of slushing issues are caused by people adding another type of coolant to a vehicle running Dexcool.

In my opinion if it was as awful as it’s made out to be it would no longer be around but it’s available at every auto parts store. I think that’s says something.

Not saying it’s the best coolant at all, just saying that I think it’s reputation is mostly due to coolant leaks left unattended for a long time and accidentally mixing coolant.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

i have multiple Rovers in the stable and they all get driven regularly. with the propensity of these cooling systems to leak from age and such, i have switched all of the Rovers to the green stuff for peace of mind.

that way if any of the Rovers do leak i don't need to worry about the issues that Dex-Cool can cause with air in the system.

Quick Reply: Best coolant for rover V8