Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Inline Thermostat Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 08:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
seens like the inline mod doesn’t change things that much
What did you expect ???? The inline on not inline thermostat does not change the operation temperature of the engine coolant. A thermostat dictates when the flow changes from bypass to radiator.
And does no other function. A thermostat does not make an engine run cooler or hotter. After it opens the flow to the radiator and closes the bypass, the engine coolant temperature obeys to many factors none being the thermostat. Clues: air flow, rpm, ambient temperature, climbing...

Old 12-13-2019, 08:34 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

A thermostat does not make an engine run cooler or hotter

i don’t agree with that statement

Old 12-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
i just have the 180 warm weather stat at idle or traffic I get to 204 and hwy 194 lowest

never get into the 180s

seens like the inline mod doesn’t change things that much
With the black/dark grey soft spring Land Rover thermostat I see

185F moving
194F idle

On the highway with a load it will climb a bit but then usually come back down.

'03 D2 with normal coolant

Old 12-13-2019, 10:57 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Without a thermostat the engine runs much cooler. The bypass design constricts flow, and I believe an inline set up would allow the coolant to flow more freely and cool more effectively.

I could be wrong, but am fixin’ on finding out.

Last edited by CollieRover; 12-13-2019 at 11:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SundayFunday (12-15-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 07:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Without a thermostat the engine runs cooler a longer time until engine stabilizes its operating temperature, then the heating factors take over and the thermostat or no-thermostat-present does exactly nothing as it is in open flow state towards the radiator.
The thermostat exists to manage very cold ambient temperatures to allow the engine to reach efficient warmer combustion operating temperatures and closed circuit operation.
A thermostat is a very good thing to have in polar climates. Nearly useless in tropics.

To run without a thermostat, the bypass path must be eliminated, plugged, condemned to coolant flow and will not harm engine operation unless it is winter in Alaska.

Engine block out-------> in-line thermostat or not------->radiator------->coolant pump suction. And no other flow paths.

Last edited by Externet; 12-14-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:31 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Externet
Without a thermostat the engine runs cooler a longer time until engine stabilizes its operating temperature, then the heating factors take over and the thermostat or no-thermostat-present does exactly nothing as it is in open flow state towards the radiator.
The thermostat exists to manage very cold ambient temperatures to allow the engine to reach efficient warmer combustion operating temperatures and closed circuit operation.
A thermostat is a very good thing to have in polar climates. Nearly useless in tropics.

To run without a thermostat, the bypass path must be eliminated, plugged, condemned to coolant flow and will not harm engine operation unless it is winter in Alaska.

Engine block out-------> in-line thermostat or not------->radiator------->coolant pump suction. And no other flow paths.
So more volume of coolant being sent through and circulated through the radiator and block wouldn’t cool the engine more efficiently? I would think that the increase in heat exchanges would create a lower temperature.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:13 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

My understanding is that the inline mod is for the convinience of being able to use a commonly available GM thermostat, with simpler hose routing.
And, that an available 170 degree thermostat can be used in non SAI trucks. Using a 170 with SAI will cause dash lights.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:43 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
My understanding is that the inline mod is for the convinience of being able to use a commonly available GM thermostat, with simpler hose routing.
And, that an available 170 degree thermostat can be used in non SAI trucks. Using a 170 with SAI will cause dash lights.
I was always under the impression that it was about temps, but I could be wrong.

Old 12-15-2019, 01:50 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

We are talking about coolant temperature the thermostat directly effects your coolant temp

Old 12-15-2019, 04:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CollieRover
So more volume of coolant being sent through and circulated through the radiator and block wouldn’t cool the engine more efficiently? I would think that the increase in heat exchanges would create a lower temperature.
That is exactly correct. The more coolant mass flowing trough the radiator per second, the more heat is dissipated. The lower temperature is not created but achieved by releasing heat; by the coolant heat exchange.
But the working engine coolant temperature obeys to other factors. An engine with or without thermostat cannot get cooler than to a certain limit. That limit comes from ambient temperature, rpm, air flow, coolant mass flow, climb rate, tow load, lead feet, mixture ratio...
There isn't a thermostat that can make the engine run cooler for a while since start-up than having no thermostat at all.

Quick Reply: Best Inline Thermostat Mod