Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best most affordable brake rebuild kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:30 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Exclamation best most affordable brake rebuild kits?

Its time to do my brakes again. My rear calipers are sticking so Im going to replace them but Im also going to replace the pads and rotors. Right now Im using a cheap brake rebuild kit from Atlantic British. Stopping is not that great and they do not stop all that well plus tons of brake dust. Where can I order the most affordable performance brake kit for front and rear? I was thinking about Akebono but they are not cheap. Id like to get some good drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads if i could find a kit cheap enough. Any thoughts?

PS: Finally going to order the 180 TDI Thermostat as well and Im gonna have my SS brake lines installed to. But I also need some exhaust work and a replacement front bumper end cap. Cant wait.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brakes & rotors are one item I ALWAYS go with a big box local parts store. For the fact that they usually have a good selection and offer LifeTime Warranties on some options, which is what I always get. That way... You know that you have all the money you're ever going to invest in this regular maintenance item already spent. If brake dust drives you crazy look into some Ceramic options. Its a very sweet thing when the day comes that they need replaced and all you have to do is pull them off and ride to town for a FREE exchange! I'm cheap though. It's hereditary... I am becoming my dad...

AdvanceAutoParts.com has a GREAT promo going on right now. Create an online account for free and then use coupon code TRT41 during check out for a $40.00 off any over $100 purchase. Try to break the purchase into two three individual purchases just over $100 for maximum saving. May have to place the orders across a couple of days, I dont know. Never used it more than once at a time. Do in-store pick up for even more saving on shipping. If the closest store is too far away call them and see if they make any daily/weekly deliveries to any local mechanic's shops. Have them drop the parts off there for you to pick or you could meet up with the driver if you'd rather do that. This is what I do becuase the closest parts store is over 45 mins away and the Disco is getting like 12-14 MPG.

Last edited by kfx4001442; 04-07-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

TriarII, take a look online at EBC brakes. Good brakes at reasonable prices. I don't know how they shape up on price though in the US.

www.perfectbrakes.com - online shopping for quality disc brake pads and brake rotors

Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

repeat after me Good isn't cheap and cheap isn't good

the duaralast are to cheap and the akebonos are to expensive.

go on ebay there is a company rc concepts or something like that,
the will sell your a 4 wheel set for like $250.with ceramic pads.

i run their rotor with no problem I used there pads on someone eles truck with no problem.
I used Akebomno's

Old 04-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've used Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi-Metallic Pads for years. Plus they have a rebate promotion right now. Great prices on Amazon (better than with a coupon from Advance, last time I checked). If brake dust bothers you, then you could go for the ceramic. For rotors, I used Wagners on the front and some cheap brand on the back. Works for me.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Baja
Old 04-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My D2 has 154k. I as well, was looking just yesterday at pads and rotors.

It seems most here like akebono pads and EBC rotors. After searching the net til my head was spinning, the cost would be about 120 per wheel for decent sets of each. ( looking at shocks too, another 60 each)

Sooo, any hoot. thanks for the link. That is about 1/2 the price for complete kit.

Anyone use the whole kit ????

Old 04-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm curious too. Those are interesting, and CHEAP. As mentioned above, Cheap is not necessarily good, but I've lucked out before with cheap.

Front Rear Kit Eline "Drilled Slotted" Disc Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads R111019 | eBay

Old 04-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Baja

ive been running there rotors about 30k miles now.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a nice set up. Cheap too!

Quick Reply: best most affordable brake rebuild kits?