Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best most affordable brake rebuild kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Shop around for caliper rebuild kits...4-6 bucks a piece...You only need to rebuild the caliper if the piston is sticking on you, or the seals are gone or something? (easy job for someone with basic knowledge and tool operation). Clean up caliper guide pins/bores and then use caliper brake grease on the guides...

Have your rotors turned/re-surfaced for 8-10 bucks a piece, (only if you have hot/warped spots or severe grooving....)

Buy whatever brake pads you want....I run Akebono, but they were 80 bucks for the front!

Other than the expensive pads...Thats as cheap as you can go (my opinion), and know you have a good brake system down there..

Old 04-08-2014, 05:16 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

You confused me at first with your original statement but your link helped ALOT! I just ordered the kit and will post with pictures once they come in and I get them installed. Ill finally be able to get the SS brake lines installed to so everything should be grand pretty soon. Also replacing the rear calipers so my brake system will be officially 100% rebuilt and new. Thanks so much for your help and the link man!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is some really nice rotors and pads for a really good price compared to what the Atlantic British booklet I just got out of the mailbox today offers for $400. If I needed brakes/rotors right now, I'd probably bite...

Old 04-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I adjusted your order a bit Julian.... I would have knocked off more $$ had you ordered through me directly though

next time

Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I adjusted your order a bit Julian.... I would have knocked off more $$ had you ordered through me directly though

next time
I honestly did not think about it at the time Zack, I had to wait until Don took a look at my truck today before i could even order the parts I needed. I thought my cats were bad because I hear a loud noise during acceleration but turns out its the muffler. Anyways by the time I got home I was in a rush to order the parts ASAP because my rear calipers are...... GONE and its metal to metal. I ordered my front calipers from you guys last year and so far they work great! So I look forward to using your rear set as well. Not to mention the TDI thermostat. Always appreciate anything you guys can do for us Zack. You kick ***!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:31 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kfx4001442
That is some really nice rotors and pads for a really good price compared to what the Atlantic British booklet I just got out of the mailbox today offers for $400. If I needed brakes/rotors right now, I'd probably bite...

I got that in mail too. The search functions on AB and Roversnorth could use some tweeking, but FYI, AB has more than 1 brake kit for D2. Someone pointed it out to me. (even less money than the EBAY link)

Land Rover Discovery II Brake Rebuild Kits: Land Rover Brake Kits Online

Shipping cost always a concern too.... I think EBAY was free ? AB, probably not...

Old 04-09-2014, 10:09 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by jhk07
I got that in mail too. The search functions on AB and Roversnorth could use some tweeking, but FYI, AB has more than 1 brake kit for D2. Someone pointed it out to me. (even less money than the EBAY link)

Land Rover Discovery II Brake Rebuild Kits: Land Rover Brake Kits Online

Shipping cost always a concern too.... I think EBAY was free ? AB, probably not...
I'm currently using this kit and I can tell you that it will not last very long at all, especially if you live on or do alot of traveling on hills. Its an affordable kit and that is the only reason I bought it but if your looking for performance and a more clean look (less brake dust on your new wheels) then I would not recommend this kit. This kit costs $224 plus shipping and you get the lowest quality brakes. For $267.89 you can get an entire performance kit with slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads front and rear with free shipping and 1 year limited warranty. I cannot stand for how well they perform because I just ordered the kit but Ill post my thoughts in a few months. For the record Atlantic British has 4 brake rebuild kits. They have the above mentioned kit, then a slightly better kit with Ferodo brake pads, then they have another kit that comes with genuine pads and finally the performance kit by EBC with costs $549.99 and comes with slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I'm currently using this kit and I can tell you that it will not last very long at all, especially if you live on or do alot of traveling on hills. Its an affordable kit and that is the only reason I bought it but if your looking for performance and a more clean look (less brake dust on your new wheels) then I would not recommend this kit. This kit costs $224 plus shipping and you get the lowest quality brakes. For $267.89 you can get an entire performance kit with slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads front and rear with free shipping and 1 year limited warranty. I cannot stand for how well they perform because I just ordered the kit but Ill post my thoughts in a few months. For the record Atlantic British has 4 brake rebuild kits. They have the above mentioned kit, then a slightly better kit with Ferodo brake pads, then they have another kit that comes with genuine pads and finally the performance kit by EBC with costs $549.99 and comes with slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads.
There ain't much Lockheed, Ferodo and Mintex don't know about brakes and linings. They've been around a very, very long time, even longer than me and that's saying something.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Of course TriarII, if you want a set of stoppers (anchors) try these but you'll need a kings ransom first.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=bremb...w=1164&bih=645