Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to order calipers? Atlantic or Utah?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012 | 10:02 AM
|
TReK

I just hope i do not live to regret putting "Proline" calipers on my Disco..... Im very skeptical about cheap aftermarket parts BUT the rep at RN said the calipers are made in the UK so....

Old 12-13-2012 | 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Those RN calipers might be the 99-02 version. If they say lucas on the caliper (not the bracket.. the all say lucas on the bracket) they are the old style. The 03-04 should say TRW on the caliper.

Old 12-13-2012 | 11:40 AM
Camel Trophy

That is true, but they are interchangeable.

Old 12-13-2012 | 12:08 PM
|
TReK

The brand is Proline, not Lucas. Just called them back to confirm that the calipers will fit my 04 and they said yes these calipers fit from 99-04. I also provided my VIN during the online ordering process so theres no reason why they should not fit. Best part is I got free shipping! Just paid $159 for both calipers, and since I did it online I got $20 taken off so that covered shipping via fedex! SO i just got 2 calipers from Rovers North for the price it would cost for one caliper from Atlantic British! lol Im feeling lucky haha thanks again guys for the tip.

Old 12-13-2012 | 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

They are not truely interchangeable. They will work and bolt on, but they were redesigned for 03 to give better braking and pedal feel.

Old 12-13-2012 | 12:41 PM
Banned

Shopping around has seriously worked in your favor!

Old 12-13-2012 | 12:48 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Looks like Rovers North is the way to go. I never would have expected them to be cheaper than Autozone, but there you go. Plus Vermont is pretty close to you in New Hampshire so shippng should be reasonable. Of course, anybody that really cares about their Rover would by the OEM caliper, espicially at such a reasonable price, but whatever.

I noticed that Rovers North is more and more often lower priced than Atlantic (this was unheard of before) and although Atlantic has a price guarantee, the aftermarket parts from North are often a better brand. I've had to throw away quite a bit of aftermarket parts and re-replace them with genuine or a different aftermarket brand, for example on brakes, All-Makes redesigns the parts cheaper versus TRW who remakes the Lucas/Girling parts. The remans have proven far better than the aftermarket junk.

I also noticed that North has been discounting shipping by 20 or 25 dollars lately. It often makes shipping free, versus very high shipping rates from Atlantic on small parts. It seems like minimum shipping from Atlantic is over $13 whereas I've had a large master cylinder and other junk sent from North all for no charge (because of the discount).

I shop price, but otherwise I greatly prefer North.

Last edited by binvanna; 12-13-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2012 | 12:56 PM
Winching

Call them to check, but I bet the Proline at North is TRW reman of the genuine (OEM) caliper. That would be the best. There's no advantage to paying for the genuine NOS part.

Old 12-13-2012 | 01:08 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by binvanna
There's no advantage to paying for the genuine NOS part.
I was being facetious, in case anyone missed that. I've got a Duralast starter in mine, so clearly I make decisions based on price not common sense.

Old 12-13-2012 | 01:14 PM
|
TReK

Without the discount Rovers North does have a hefty shipping charge. Ive purchased several parts from them afew years ago for my former D1 and consider I live one state over, i was shocked at how expensive the shipping was. Afew times I had to beg them to NOT USE UPS and use USPS instead because they are cheaper. But yes with the new online shipping discount it makes life easier for us all. BUT my observation in general is that some parts on RN are cheaper than AB while in contrast AB has some better deals that beat RN. The brake master cylinder is only $199 at AB and between $299-390 at RN! So its really about shopping around and doing all the research first. Kinda sucks that I have to buy half of my brake parts from AB and the other half from RN, but it maximizes my savings.

Quick Reply: Best place to order calipers? Atlantic or Utah?