Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to order calipers? Atlantic or Utah?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Shopping around is the best way to do it, I often go by price, but I do prefer genuine parts when they're not crazy expensive.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Proline is Rover Norths house brand, they are made by the lowest bidder.
I have heard nothing but bad about their water pumps, but their fuel pumps are good.
I have no idea about their calipers.
I have had zero problems buying parts from the parts stores, but then again I tell them exactly what I want and do not let them offer any advice.
Almost everyone who works at a parts store is a idiot when it comes to Land Rover's.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I just got a steering shaft from Rovers north also made by Proline; which was made in England, not china.
And this thing is a piece of work the machine work is far better than the stock was and the design is 20 years newer.
All of the expossed surfaces have been cadium plated, where the stock one was raw steel.
I was going to throw them on my shop scale just to see, but i think the new one weights more than the stock one.
I think you should be fine with there calipers; if they are anywhere near the qualility of the proline steering staft.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:24 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
I just got a steering shaft from Rovers north also made by Proline; which was made in England, not china.
And this thing is a piece of work the machine work is far better than the stock was and the design is 20 years newer.
All of the expossed surfaces have been cadium plated, where the stock one was raw steel.
I was going to throw them on my shop scale just to see, but i think the new one weights more than the stock one.
I think you should be fine with there calipers; if they are anywhere near the qualility of the proline steering staft.
lol thanks for the tip! I asked one of the representatives from Rovers North about proline calipers and he said they have been selling them for years with no complains. But its good to hear word from actually buyers of these parts! and I suspected that cheap calipers sold by autozone were probabally made in china lol

so the calipers from Rovers North will be delivered today via FedEx and I just submitted a web order on Atlantic British for the brake master cylinder, 3 quarts of dot 4 fluid, front caliper guide pin kit, land rover discovery key chain and all new caliper mounting bolts for front and rear. I did not want to chance stripping the mounting bolts and having to wait another week to get them in the mail. So the AB order should be delivered by this coming monday. Already have the new brake rebuild kit (all new rotors and pads) and rotor placement screws and wheel mates - just waiting to be installed!

CANT WAIT TO TACKLE THIS PROJECT AND GET NEW BRAKES!!!! She should be pretty tight once everythings installed lol - better watch out Moose!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely a moose would destroy our disco's . I have seen a moose destroy a tractor trailer on parleys canyon.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Definitely a moose would destroy our disco's . I have seen a moose destroy a tractor trailer on parleys canyon.
No doubt there, but thats the point of having new brakes installed - improved sudden stopping, even before the likes of a mighty Moose! Ill feel more confident. Right now with my bad breaks theres no stopping in time if a moose decided to say hello.......

Old 12-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
PS: You guys see how much Rovers North charges for genuine LR calipers? $669.49 per caliper!
So looking in the catalog, it looks like there are "exchange" calipers and new calipers, even from land rover.

SEG000060E

For example the right side caliper is SEG000030 for new, but the exchange version is SEG000030E.

SEG000060E for the other side.

Land Rover Parts Center - Call (800) 574-9217 for Genuine Land Rover Parts and Accessories checking the prices at this site, they are noticeably more expensive for new, especially if you look at the 99-02 part numbers: STC1915 and STC1916 (STC1915E, STC1916E)

Old 12-17-2012, 02:11 PM
TReK

Well in any case DAP Enterprise sells Proline parts and Rovers North (both companies based in Vermont) seem to stand behind proline parts so I figured what the hell. Guess it does not matter to much because sometime in the near future I'll be replacing all 4 calipers with new performance ones as well as EBC rotors and Akebono cermaic pads and stainless steel brake lines. I just need "BRAKES" to get me through this winter.... and yes considering Ive been driving the past 3 weeks or so without brakes anything is better than nothing at the moment.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

DAP enterprise does not sell proline as proline is rovers north's brand. I've been to DAP when I was at a Rally in southern VT and I thought I was going to get mugged/ hepatitis.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:00 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
DAP enterprise does not sell proline as proline is rovers north's brand. I've been to DAP when I was at a Rally in southern VT and I thought I was going to get mugged/ hepatitis.
I could have sworn I purchased a proline steering damper from DAP for my former D1. Cant remember for sure though, all I know is the the damper was white. And I didnt follow you regarding the mugged/hepatitis at DAP. Their shop in Springfield VT is a little.... old and dirty but... lol

Quick Reply: Best place to order calipers? Atlantic or Utah?