Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best stainless steel brake lines and bleeding question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 02:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Best stainless steel brake lines and bleeding question

There are quite a few vendors out there selling brake lines, but not many sell the full 6 line kit. I like the Goodridge lines, they seem the most common, but they appear to come only in the 4 line kit.

AB has a 6 line kit, for about $135. It looks like they make them in-house. They're black as opposed to the Goodridge silver/SS. Yes I'm a snob and like the look of stainless, but ultimately not a big deal.

Lucky8 has the TF lines for $80 (re-badged Goodridge) but again, I think its only 4 lines.

What's the way to go? I'm doing a 2" TF lift, as well as new pads (Akebono), rotors (Raybestos Advanced Technology), and eventually tires.

This leads to brake bleeding. I bought this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was this the right move?

Do I need a diagnostic tool to do this properly? Hawkeye? I hope not.

My last lingering question is if I should go with the caliper service kits from AB and/or any other things I should refresh during this job?

Old 12-30-2016, 02:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

If you can spare the change, lucky 8 has a sale on ebc rotors and pads. I have them on mine and love em. They are the slotted and dempled (not drilled all the way through). They help cleaning mud and debri and if you tow anything (I pull my golf cart to tailgating and the hunting club occasionally). I bought my a while back and they were a lot more than what lucky 8 has em for right now. (Go to the forum menu and look under lucky 8 specials). I personally am not a fan of bleeding brakes by vacuum. Motive products makes a good pressure bleeder and has a tank that holds fluid so it doesn't go dry. You shouldn't need a diagnostic tool to bleed the brakes unless you mess with the abs module or master cylinder. That being said I've been looking like you do a good extended brake kit also. If you check on amazon for the motive products pressure bleeder, the European one works with the 43mm BMW cap if I'm not mistaken. They also have 2 versions, one is red and is black. The black is a bit more heave duty and they are great since it makes it a one person job. Let us know which kit you get and how you like em

Old 12-30-2016, 03:00 AM
Pro Wrench

Sorry the link is under the classified section then lucky 8 specials

The following users liked this post:
RawFaith (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 03:02 AM
Pro Wrench

Not too shabby for $408 with free shipping. I paid over $600 for mine back in the summer

Old 12-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Sorry the link is under the classified section then lucky 8 specials
really hope the time on your phone screen is way off...what were you doing on the forums at 3AM...?

Old 12-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Pro Wrench

Working man. Somebody has to do it

Old 12-30-2016, 12:59 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks for the tip. After doing my research I concluded that a slotted/drilled rotor is really unnecessary, especially with ceramic brake pads. I already bought the items I mentioned (around $290 total), I just need some tips on the rest of the brake job. I'm probably going to get a Lynx to replace my icarsoft as well.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Dumb question...

What am I missing, I am looking at another set of brakes & pads (see attached image) (sorry I know OP was discussing brake lines and I will hit on this further down in the reply) from Amazon and I am seeing a significant savings.

Brake Lines - In my experience, I have never had any brand of steel braided go bad, it has typically been other parts.

caliper service kits - I found these on Amazon for the front (see attachment), I will hunt down the rears shortly but, for a couple bucks why not just do it while everything is already off.

Attached Thumbnails Best stainless steel brake lines and bleeding question-brakes.png   Best stainless steel brake lines and bleeding question-seals.png  
Old 12-30-2016, 07:52 PM
Pro Wrench

Jeff,
im with you on the lynx. I'm just debating on going with a tablet, cheap laptop to use for it solely, or put windows os on my mac. I hate they aren't mac compatible. But hey you gotta go with what's practical for you, the ebc is practical for what I use it for and to each is own. I'm still watching to see others chime in on the brake lines. I'm interested why AB has the 6 line kit and everybody else has the 4 line kits. I'm planning on a 2" lift so I'm looking for the extended lines. None the less it still puzzles me. Hopefully others will chime in and fill us all in.
Jaso

Old 12-30-2016, 08:02 PM
Pro Wrench

I have a spare ****ty windows laptop that I'll use. My main computer is a Macbook pro.

Erik @ lucky8 confirmed their kit includes 4 lines. The extra 2 lines are the short runs up in the front left wheel well. I don't think they are necessary for doing a lift, but hey, if going stainless, might as well go all stainless, right? So for that reason I am leaning towards the AB kit. The AB kit also includes new hardware which is nice.

Keeping it simple and doing the 2" Terrafirma lift. 3" necessitates too many upgrades to the suspension system that I am currently not willing to do.

Duratracs, T/A KO2, Cooper discoverer, and Nitto trail grapplers are on my short list for tires. Probably 255/70/18. I'd like to go narrow, like 235, but the size isn't available for 18" rims.

When searching the forums, I see mention to extending the brake lines and abs lines. I can't find any info on extending the ABS lines. What's the deal with those?

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 12-30-2016 at 08:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Best stainless steel brake lines and bleeding question