Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG MT's VS. GoodYear DuraTrac?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 03:55 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
The Cooper S/T's come in a "E" rating, thats what I prefer to run on my work van.
As far as how long they last...longer than the BFG A/T.

It is hard for me to say how long a tire lasts, on my Disco I have the S/T's and only have ~5,000 miles on them.
But on my FedEx van I eat tiers for lunch.
6-8 tires a year, I go through tires so fast that I run winter and summer tires and I wear out each set before switching, so its not really fair to say that they only last ~20,000 miles.
The BFG A/T's only last maybe 15k.
Hankook H/T's last pretty long but suck in snow.
BFG Commercial T/A's also last a long time but again suck in snow.

A mud tire is made from a harder rubber compound to take the abuse of rocks, but remember that rubber gets hard when it gets cold, so start with a hard tire and when it gets cold it gets harder and then your traction will actually suffer because the tire cant contour to the terrain.

I am not saying you have to get the S/T, I just recommend it because I know it is a good tire.

"Traction" on the side wall is useless in my opinion.

Let us know whatever you get and how they work out for you.

EDIT:a mud tire wont last long, most wear out inside of 20k. $1,000 is alot of money to throw out every 1 and a half years.

Outside of DiscoMike of course; I would have to say that Spike is the "GrandMaster" of this forum. You seem to always post relevant info, good come backs, and exactly what we need to hear.

I would like to run an "E" rated tyre as I will pull a dirt bike trailer pretty often and have lots of weight some times. From what I am gathering if I am short on money I should go with the Cooper's but if money is no problem I should go with the GoodYears. I went for another ride tonight on the highway to a level-b road (after Iowa beat Penn State) with my buddy on his DuraTrac's and they are pretty quite and have the Kevlar and warrenty.

I am still confused as to what to do...

Thanks-

P.S. - I have been drinking - LOL.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Like I said AK Rover had them (Dura Tracs)on his truck and his only complaint was that they were only 3 ply side wall.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not put Goodyears on my truck if they gave them to me for free!!! Never had a set that at least one didn't come apart inside of 20000 miles and the other three got extremely noisy at about 30000 miles.

I have had the best luck with Michelin AT light truck tires had 3 sets go over 75000 miles bekore I ahd to replace them. Mostly highway miles ( i drove 142 miles each way to work for over 7 years) but quite a bit of mud and off road ( I am a professional land surveyor) as it was my work truck. This was all in Ford F-150's 4x4 fully loaded at all times with equipment (about 7000 pounds gross)

Hope this helps

Old 09-27-2009, 08:09 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My complaint was that the rocks where I wheeled tore away the outer most layer of rubber in spots on the sidewall. I am thinking of buying a set of Duratracs when my Super Duty needs new tires.

The Duratrac is probably one of the best all around tires on the market. The center tread blocks are close enough to give a quiet, smooth ride on the road but spread far enough to self clean. The outer edges and sidewalls have large blocks that grab everything and pull the truck over tough stuff easily.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the BFG KM2 and have loved them so far. They are definately more expensive than most tires but I think that the quality is great. They have the e load rating which I would definately recommend for our heavy beasts. I have put around 6000 miles on them so far and hardly notice any wear. I have drove about 1000 of the miles through rocky areas and have only found one little chunk out of the tread. I was really impressed with how little noise they have on the interstate for a mud terrain. I have heard that they work great in mud but since I am in the desert I have only been through rocks and sand. Overall I think that they are a great tire and would recommend them to anyone.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking t Pirelli Ice & Snow for this winter. Sound like they are perfect for the winters here in Illinois

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Old 09-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Robmcin
I am looking t Pirelli Ice & Snow for this winter. Sound like they are perfect for the winters here in Illinois

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Yeah those Pirelli's are a pretty good price and sound like they would be great in the snow. I am kind of looking for the "does everything" tire, that's pretty aggressive but yet not ridiculously loud on the road.

Thanks again for all the input guys-

Old 09-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Winching
Question 265/85/r16?

So I have done lots of research now and still haven't decided between the DuraTrac and the BFG MT's, leaning towards the GY tho.

I talked with "Street Wolf" a member here and he said he has the same 3in OME lift and he ran 34x10.5in Swampers with NO other modifications. I converted that into 265/85/R16, which of course I can't find anyone who makes this size in a MT that will work on the highway and isn't really loud. I bet his Swampers are great in the mud but probably horrible on the road.

I think the 265 would be the best width and I want to be around 33in so I just am not sure if I go with 285/75 or 255/85 - the 285 will stick out (& possibly rub) and the 255 will probably look pretty skinny.

God I need help-

Old 09-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rj95lss

God I need help-
Welcome to the wonderful world of Rovers buddy, welcome to the lifestyle...welcome...

Old 09-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Winching
Default LT255/85R16/E - confirmed...

Originally Posted by Spike555
Welcome to the wonderful world of Rovers buddy, welcome to the lifestyle...welcome...
Thanks Spike.

Well I guess I am going to go with the original plan and get the 255/85/R16 E-load BFG KM2 MT's. They might look a little narrow next to my buddies Toyota's but I think they will look good. They will also be the 33in I want and will not rub. Plus they have a lot of good feedback over a longer period of time.

Sears will mount all 5 for $1,057.08 (everything included). $120 for extra road warranty which I should probably pick up too.

Thanks for all the help and listening to me while I talked myself in a circle - LOL.

Quick Reply: BFG MT's VS. GoodYear DuraTrac?