Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big oil leak - 04 D2 V8

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 08:27 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Big oil leak - 04 D2 V8

Hi guys, looking for some aid in diagnosing this leak (or leaks) as it's leaving a nice puddle on my shop floor.

Dripping from here:

Let's trace it!

Engine bay:

I am a complete newbie to engines, aiming to get educated and learn the workings using the Disco as a resource. I'll be getting under and cleaning all the oil off with brake cleaner as soon as I can but wanted to get some first opinions since it's probably an obvious common issue! This is a baby still with about 60k miles, in pretty amazing condition throughout, so I'm hoping it's nothing catastrophic. In-line stat mod is top of my list after fixing this leak(s).

Thanks

Old 05-18-2022, 04:17 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Def valve cover gaskets. Relatively easy. Lookup pcv valve mod while tour at it to keep pressure down and future leak chances low.

The following 2 users liked this post by brivalen:
BlackShama (05-19-2022), Richard Gallant (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 05:35 PM
Received 1,135 Likes on 784 Posts

Valve covers for sure, I would start there - it is possible the pan gasket is leaking as well. DO NO use brake cleaner that stuff is corrosive, get some engine degreaser and follow the directions - citrus based ones work quite well. If they require the use of water, take care where you spray and once you get things hosed off start the engine and let it run with hood up until warm then for few minutes after.

The following users liked this post:
BlackShama (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 09:39 AM
Drifting

Noted on the brake cleaner - is it fine to use on the underside of the vehcule on the external parts to get rid of all the built up oil or just stick with degreaser all over?

Valve cover, oil sump, throttle body and inlet manifold gaskets all ordered - might as well do the whole shebang at once. New drive belt going in too as it's looking a bit worse for wear.

Some of the pullies/wheels for the belt have some bad surface corrosion - rust is flaking off. I don't know the names, will have to check the workshop book, but is this something to treat ASAP?

Old 05-19-2022, 10:05 AM

@BlackShama I avoid brake cleaner for anything that still on the chassis, the degreaser easier on the bits.

And yes replace the pulley's they look like they are end of life

BlackShama (05-21-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 12:57 PM
TReK
Received 765 Likes on 633 Posts

The top photo is one of the idler pulleys. Easy to replace. The lower one looks like it might be the alternator pulley. Not sure how easy that one is to get off the device.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:11 PM
TReK
Received 493 Likes on 428 Posts

Like you say the idler should be replaced, even just as a routine maintenance item. If it was me I’d probably ignore the alternator pulley.

Old 05-21-2022, 09:48 AM
Drifting

Surprisingly finding the right pulleys for a v8 in the UK has been a challenge. Should have both idler and alternator sourced now.

Biggest hurdle though has been sourcing a 36mm wrench long enough to undo the viscous fan… Fancied that nice old Mercedes one but can’t really wait 4-8 weeks(!) for dispatch.

I’m a good ways off, but my goal is to get this vehicle as bulletproof as can be for bi-annual 2000-3000 mile round trips down to France. Two of the three rear seats out to accommodate a big raised bed space for my two giant dogs, with slimline under-bed storage for tools, parts and comforts. Roof rack for luggage. Ride quality enhancements. General interior glow-up. Nice and discrete really, optimising on-road comfort but with the ability to haul dogs and gear up ****ty tracks and through bad snow.

Probably easily handled by an AWD estate but I like the loadspace headroom for the dogs in the landy and the fixability - plus it’s a landy. The future 90 is the toy for the serious stuff!

My 04 has ACE installed right now, no idea yet how functional it is but extremely doubtful it’s ever been adequately serviced or maintained. Same with the rear airbags.

For the sole purpose of reliability, do I drop ACE and go to good quality, wide sway bars? I’m not an aggressive driver. Or stick with the ACE and just replace pipes and filter and monitor it?

Again for reliability- swap rear airbags for (quality) springs? I won’t be lifting, or at most 1.5”. Alternatively go aftermarket (BOSS?) bags rear with a new front spring kit?

Everything on this Disco is focused on balancing on-road ride comfort and reliability.

Last edited by BlackShama; 05-21-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:26 PM

Refresh what you have if it is mostly light offroad they handle well on road without it, but you may find it more comfortable with all that in. As for serious stuff I follow Defender's and Series trucks every where in my 04. I have a 1.5 lift and good off road tires, but I am both the lowest and tallest truck which has a few challenges.

@acg doing a bit of fording he has a couple of inches on me

3 Disco's clearing an obstacle me last

And a D1 having some fun

Old 05-22-2022, 04:39 AM
Drifting

It’s seriously impressive to me what D2s (and 1s) are capable of. 10 years ago I would never have believed it - only ever saw them down South in the UK parked on double yellows outside the school gates!

Live in Scotland now and seen a few with roof racks and winches chug past the track outside my house and it peaked my interest.

I was uhming and ahhing over going full offroad build but concluded I need two cars - one for getting down to the Pyrenees in summer and winter and another shorter wheelbase for whizzing around the UK. Disco ‘sadly’ relegated to the former due to cargo size and comfort - gotta keep those leather seats clean and plush for my SO! Doesn’t mean I can’t have a bit of fun with the build though!

I think I’ll go full EMU conversion, 1.5”. Ditching the air compressor will make space for a twin battery setup too. Will inspect and try to service the ACE, don’t really fancy the elbow-grazing feeling when driving up switchbacks halfway up the Pyrenees especially on full springs and 16” wheels.

Speaking of, new 16” steel wheels and Toyo ATs en route - little treat to tide me over until the bulk of the engine maintenance is done.

Last edited by BlackShama; 05-22-2022 at 05:29 AM.
Richard Gallant (05-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Big oil leak - 04 D2 V8